Zeagle Stiletto or BP/W?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Decommissioned

Registered
Reaction score
So get this I was at my LDS and I told them that I was interested in going from my jacket BC to a either the Zeagle Stiletto or going the BP/W route especially since I plan on eventually doing tech diving in the future. Anyways the sales rep there said "Don't go BP/W you could get a Zeagle Stiletto which is basically a BP/W just with some back padding and storage." He also stated that BP/W aren't worth it and the plate is very heavy and uncomfortable compared to the Zeagle Stiletto and that BP/Ws have crappy harnesses compared to a Stiletto. So long story short I had a sales rep tell me that BP/Ws are worhtless and should be avoided at all costs and that the Zeagle Stiletto is the way I should go. So I get what he was getting but in my mind I'm just thinking that most people rave about BP/Ws over BCs so I was wondering if he actually had any experience with BP/Ws or if he was just a loyal Zeagle fan. Don't get me wrong Zeagle Stilettos are nice and I see the appeal to them but I also see the appeal to BP/Ws too.

Anyways, so here's what I've been thinking and need some ScubaBoarders advice on. I haven't dove a BP/W yet and I see the appeal to them and I do like the Zeagle Stiletto yes but after reading tons of reviews on here about BP/Ws especially for tech diving it seems that BP/Ws are the way to go and not BCs. Correct me if I'm wrong. But if I go the BP/W route I thought about buying the XDeep Ghost Deluxe BP/W. Thoughts on this BP/W?

TL;DR: LDS sales rep said BP/Ws bad, Zeagle Stiletto good. But looking for expert advice on SB.com on the Zeagle Stiletto vs BP/W as I plan on being a future tech diver someday and looking at the XDeep Ghost Deluxe BP/W.

From the look of ghost deluxe, it isn't standard fitting. It is not like you can use it on double late. If for no other reason than your future tech training plan, just get standard bp/w with basic harness, something that can grow with you into that.

One of Stiletto limitations is that it doesn’t support doubles. Im sure Ranger is better if you eventually go Tech.

EDIT: that said, if you don't need doubles, Stiletto is an all around great BC.

I had a stiletto and sold it after a few dives. Hated that thing under water. Got a BP/W and never looked back.

It sounds like what your LDS really said was "I carry stilletos but not bp/ws, so let me make up some reasons as to why you should spend money with me and not somewhere else."

Also, all his rationales against bp/ws sound like they come from someone that has never used one, but read about them once.

My wife has a Stiletto but she is sick of carrying so much lead. She saw my BPW and asked about it, then saw how little of lead I need to carry with a steel plate and told me to start buying parts.
48013805387_5b29faffd5_c.jpg

I'm sure that Stiletto is at least 5lbs. buoyant.

For what you will pay for the Zeagle you could have two complete standard backplate setups. A lightweight aluminum and a heavy stainless steel. Buy some webbing and hardware to construct permanent harnesses for each. Then buy a single wing and a couple of cam bands to attach the backplate assembly you plan to dive. These assemblies can be customized and modified to accommodate your future tech plans. The salesman at your LDS is either self serving or ill informed.

The Stiletto is a back inflate BCD so to some extent it will dive like a BPW.

Negative. It is what it is. You will be able to do very little customization to it.
Positive. It is all set up for you and ready to go.

BPW...

Negative. There is a learning curve to set up and adjustment.
Positive. Because of this it is almost infinitely adjustable. Need more lift, change wings. Want more weight centrally, use a steel plate. Foot heavy, cam band trim pockets.

In short, if you want something ready to jump in the water, buy the Stiletto.

If you are willing to put in some time and effort and interested in a rig you can customize to your specific needs and can grow with you. Buy a BPW

From the look of ghost deluxe, it isn't standard fitting. It is not like you can use it on double late. If for no other reason than your future tech training plan, just get standard bp/w with basic harness, something that can grow with you into that.

You're right I forgot to mention that XDeep does have a wing that can handle doubles that I believe can be switched out with the Ghost wing. So if I can change it out I would just buy this wing and use it with my Ghost Deluxe harness.
NX PROJECT - Double tank technical BC System; Tec Wing

I put around 200 dives on a Stiletto in both warm and cold water and it still looks new. It is a great product. I recently switched to bp/w for cold water diving and was able to drop 10lbs of lead. Really can’t go wrong either, just depends on your needs and future goals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom