Best guess drysuit sizing based on measurements

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Divectionist

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
Hi

I would like to get a drysuit (Waterproof EX2) but unfortunately cannot try it on anywhere locally, so I will have to order it in with the ability to exchange it for another size if it does not fit. Because of the postage/time hassle involved, and the inability to try 2 or 3 sizes back to back easily, I'd like to give it the best possible shot the first time around.

My dilemma is that my sizing is all over the place on their size chart: http://www.waterproof.eu/_images/products/sizecharts/Sizechart_WPSite_Men_EX2.jpg

Height: XS
Neck to wrist: XS
Crotch to floor: XS
Foot length: XS

Neck: ML/L
Chest: M
Waist: S
Hips: M

I am short (171cm) with an athletic build, so all the length/height measurements are towards XS, with my neck/chest etc. circumferences being M+.

I would only wear thin undergarments, like a sharkskin, for 18-24C water (wetsuit for 24+), so do not need the room for arctic level bulk underneath. I would of course prefer a nice and streamlined fit. Would you think I can get away with an XS despite the various M measurements given this? I assume the neck seal will require trimming to fit my neck anyway, so it may only be about the chest and hips.

The only reason why I don't think the size S 'compromise' may be the logical choice is because I've tried on other suits in size S that were still extremely baggy around the whole body. The EX2 is supposed to be more of a slim fit than most, but I can't confirm this, so am looking to SB for some guidance.

Thank you

Good luck, I cant help but confirm that without fitting the suit with the intended thermals you will mostly likely get sizing wrong at least twice.

From what I can tell, Waterproof makes some excellent products but given you situation, why not go custom via Deep6. Their suit has received positive reviews, they offer outstanding customer service, and the owners of the company frequent SB. You can call them, or email them to discuss any sizing/fit concerns you might have:

Deep 6 Makara Custom Drysuit

-Z

Thanks guys, I will research custom suits as an alternative, makes good sense. Any other good custom recommendations?

Check out Seaskin custom drysuits made in England. Great price and I have been very happy with mine during the last several years.

Indeed, good price, made to size and the customisations give me exactly the features I need. I'll read up on them a bit more and get in touch with them. It does sound like a very long waiting time right now but I guess the long term is worth it.

Did you go for the telescopic option or not?

I'm in your same situation...
I need to change mine, and I want a waterproof: my old one is a waterproof, it should perfectly match my characteristics, but is too big.
I've spent one evening measuring myself, and I use those number to figure it out which size I should get: it turned out should be the same of my old one...
I know that if you send measurements and a picture of yourself to 4 elements will prepare e perfect DS for you, and if it doesn't fit, they will replace it without any problem or cost...
I'm tempted with this option...

I'm in your same situation...
I need to change mine, and I want a waterproof: my old one is a waterproof, it should perfectly match my characteristics, but is too big.
I've spent one evening measuring myself, and I use those number to figure it out which size I should get: it turned out should be the same of my old one...
I know that if you send measurements and a picture of yourself to 4 elements will prepare e perfect DS for you, and if it doesn't fit, they will replace it without any problem or cost...
I'm tempted with this option...

Does not surprise me given that you live an hour away from me. The shops here just don't carry them, and if so, then in L and XXXXL.

Which model are you after? Some are cut a bit more slim fit than others, so that may play a role? The smallest suit I found locally was a Scubapro Trilaminate in S. Felt like wearing a trash bag, hence why I thought maybe I can get an XS Waterproof in my height range and the two sizes my circumferences are too large will end up creating a nicely fitting suit. Or it may not.

Since researching my way through some of the custom offerings, I think this would be the way to go if you can get past the long waiting times.

Just a tip - go spend $15 at a tailor/alteration shop and get them to measure you properly, I had my own measurements deviate a few cm here and there from their professional measurements. I may seek out a second one for comparison, and to get a few extra measurements done as required by some of them, just to be extra sure before spending the coin and being in a world of hurt if it does not go well.

You may want to try something from the Aqualung Fusion line of drysuits. Shops can order the suits with different size outer skins for divers that need a larger size drysuit layer to accommodate body morphology/dimension issues....the outer skin is neoprene, lycra, or a mix depending on the model, regardless all 3 versions are super stretchy and keeps the inner drysuit layer streamlined to the body so if the suit is larger than needed in one area or another to get a comfortable fit, it will not dive like an uncomfortable mass of material in the water column with a giant uncontrollable air bubble.

-Z

You may want to try something from the Aqualung Fusion line of drysuits. Shops can order the suits with different size outer skins for divers that need a larger size drysuit layer to accommodate body morphology/dimension issues....the outer skin is neoprene, lycra, or a mix depending on the model, regardless all 3 versions are super stretchy and keeps the inner drysuit layer streamlined to the body so if the suit is larger than needed in one area or another to get a comfortable fit, it will not dive like an uncomfortable mass of material in the water column with a giant uncontrollable air bubble.

-Z

This sounds great in theory -- but after 200+ dives in this suit I'd never recommend it to anyone. Given that the suit is around 2K you can spend a little more (or less) and get a custom made to measure suit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom