Opinions: When DOES a new diver become advanced?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dewdropsonrosa

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Carrying on from the Introductions forum thread When does a new diver become ‘advanced’!?, there seemed to be initial agreement forming that being an 'advanced' diver is more about mindset/philosophy than raw experience accumulated.

With that in mind, in your opinion, what characteristics/features/skills/features/behaviors are part of the transition to advanced diving?

When they can be thrown into a variety of dive environments, be faced with a variety of problems and handle it all gracefully.

One attribute is to know one's own limits, physical/mental/emotional/experience/training/qualifications/capabilities, and make the proper decision to dive or not to dive or when to end the dive.

I think @uncfnp 's definition in that thread I linked to above nailed it. It got 16 likes there.

In that thread I made a Post detailing the core skills someone should have gained proficiency in. They don't need to be "demonstration standard" but should be achievable even when lightly task loaded

And yes there is a degree of mindset - being somewhat conservative and adhering to the lessons learnt within your basic training.

Some people will never be proficient or advanced because they don't have the interest. Let me explain:

I used to play golf. I had numerous lessons my own gear and went out and played regularly. But I was never more than a hack and basher, because I didn't care enough about it all. To me golf was a walk outside with friends, hitting a ball as a means to work up an appetite for the 19th hole. A lot of divers are like that too.

People cite Fundies as a remarkable course. Without being disingenuous to the training nor those who participate, in effect its a basic course (taught well). However if you have invested $2000 in the course and travel accom etc, plus 5 vacation days, you are pretty incentivised to learn, and you have a desire to.

Normal training is fairly cheap and so the incentive isn't always there. Furthermore you can teach someone (if they want to learn) but you can't make them continue to practice afterwards - thus skills become rusty.

The mindset and desire to constantly improve oneself and become a better diver is what separates the few from the many.

You can read about "basic" divers in A&I. You will know they were "basic" because they died due to a lack of basic skills or an inability to respond to basic problems that occur during a dive.

You can read about "advanced" divers in A&I too. You will know that they were "advanced" because they died either due to a lack of judgment or because they routinely made dives right on the edge: because of the current, because of the restrictions, because of the depth, because they maybe should have repacked the scrubber.

I try to stay somewhere in between.

The simple answer is that technically, you are an advanced diver when you have a certification that says you are an advanced diver......although that doesn't really mean much. I dove with people that had their DM cert that I personally wouldn't ever want as a dive buddy or to lead a dive I am on. Beyond that, it is just a label that means next to nothing no matter what you base it on. Once you do a LOT of dives, I think you have the right to call yourself an experienced diver, but you still need to prove that to yourself and others every time you enter the water but performing like you know what you are doing. So, I would never assume anyone is an "advanced" diver....once they show me how they perform underwater I will form my own opinion and act accordingly on future dives with them

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom