Breathing oxygen through scuba regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jbuw

New
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Hello,
I wanted to breathe medical oxygen through a scuba regulator.( Don't fret , it's not at depth)

Oxygen cylinders are not compatible with scuba regulators & scuba tanks cannot be filled with medical oxygen.

Question is how do I do this.

Any insight would be helpful.

Bring or get someone to bring your medical oxygen to your local diving centre. If they service regulators and tanks they might be able to help you.

I would think medical oxygen is delivered differently. You also breathe through your nose. A nose clip should solve that. Except for possible liability claims and responsibilities and stuff like that - I can't see why this is not possible.

Just my 2 cents.....

Something like this:
CGA870 to Female Din -- Straight Handle

Just need a DIN reg that will handle O2. And possibly a DIN to yoke adaptor to adapt that to a yoke reg.

Bob

and your regulator cleaned for O2 use..... Keep in mind, that regulator then should not see anything except hyper-pure air going forward...

YMMV

and your regulator cleaned for O2 use..... Keep in mind, that regulator then should not see anything except hyper-pure air going forward...

YMMV

this is VERY important. Most scuba equipment is rated to 40% NITROX max. O2 cleaning ensuring that all parts, lubricants etc are compatable with pure oxygen. The risk of them not being compatable includes fires and worst case explosion.

Hello,
I wanted to breathe medical oxygen through a scuba regulator.( Don't fret , it's not at depth)

Oxygen cylinders are not compatible with scuba regulators & scuba tanks cannot be filled with medical oxygen.

Although it is entirely possible to rig a scuba reg to a medical O2 cylinder, it is much easier just to have a scuba cylinder full of O2 and breath from that. and the scuba cylinder is usually bigger, too, so lasts longer.

Hello,

why off of a scuba regulator? If doing it at the surface it is much easier to get a demand valve that fits onto the DISS port of the existing oxygen regulator you have

scuba tanks cannot be filled with medical oxygen
Not sure what you mean by this. Tech divers do it all the time. We don't dive with impure oxygen.

Not sure what you mean by this. Tech divers do it all the time. We don't dive with impure oxygen.

he may only have access to O2 from a medical shop which will only have the pin index and maybe the standard CGA fitting. They don't usually fill scuba tanks....

Hello,

clarify your statement """scuba tanks cannot be filled with medical oxygen"""" I seldom see them filled with anything other than med oxygen.

If you are talking about physical aspects then you get a adaptor fot teh scuba tank and the O2 tank and just fill. Your O2 tank may use a cga 540 or a 870 or other valve types. You just get the fitting and connect a hose to it and attach the other side to a scuba fill adapter.

here is an example of an O2 tank valve with the hose connection onthe bottom. My O2 tanks are fitted with cga 540 valves like the welding bottles have.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRaK2xJNP3wVR47h3_dP2QfyrSOqV4KqEsoeRuGPgX42Las5eyK0A.jpg

My fill whip is a hose with quick disconnect fittings on it so i can put what ever adapter I want on any end. So on one end i can put the puctured valve on it and the other end a cg540 or a scuba din connection.

Here is a link that will show many adapters you can use depending on your need

http://www.tfmengineering.com.au/TFM Engineering Catalogue 2017-03.pdf

IUf you wold like to see teh items i use PM me and i will send you pics and info.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom