Replacement for D4i

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't have the US pricing handy, but there is one price for just a battery change, usually done for a frequent diver, and there is a second higher price that includes bi-annual maintenance on the control buttons and I don't know what else.

Your dive computers is using battery for almost 2 years, you have 67 dives and battery is drained. And you are complaining :) I would understand your complaints if you had 67 dives during 2 months and batter would be dead. But now..... change your battery and enjoy diving.

So, I did change the battery. It lasted three months and 26 dives. Should have bought a new computer….

See this thread: D4i Tale of Woe - What Next? [long]

It seems that your computer is faulty :) If you still have warranty, you are lucky... if not, then keep changing batteries :wink:

Changing batteries every three months would cost me abut US$240 a year. Better just buy a new dive computer.

I was in the market for my first dive computer earlier this year. I have used the Zoop and ScubaPro Aladin rentals. I researched entry to mid level dive computers to death. I didn't need AI as I already have an SPG. I wanted easy to use, easy to read underwater, easy to understand and navigate and easy to change the battery. In short, I bought a second hand Petrel 2. I wanted the electronic compass. It uses a standard AA battery, and I don't need to spend $50 per year or every other year in changing the battery. After using the Petrel 2 on my trip to Bonaire last month I'm absolutely delighted with he purchase. I stretched my budget by $100 to get a 2nd hand Petrel. It's worth every penny since I don't plan on changing it. If I do, it seems on ScubaBoard Classifieds that any used Shearwater sells relatively quickly. The other brands don't seem to sell out so fast. Just saying.

Yeah. Nice computers. Way beyond my means. More computer than I really need.

These days pretty much all my dives are easy, guided, recreational dives. I'm looking for something in the US$400 range.

Mares Puck is about the cheapest option that also comes with the cheapest cable -- at least here in US. Not sure about Subsurface support, check the manual. CR2450 battery, don't know what size o-ring. Should be similar to zoop in its no-stop time calculations. At $240/year you could buy a new one, with cable, every year and still have enough left over for a couple of beers. But if it's anything like my cressi, the battery should last 2 years, not one.

PS. if you dive nitrox, changing the mix often with only one button can get old rather quickly, though.

I think we've reached a resolution. My wife bought a Zoop about four years ago. She somehow misplaced it and replaced it earlier this year with a Zoop Novo. When packing for the next dive she found the missing Zoop in her regulator bag. Now she has generously offered to give me the Zoop Novo while she'll go back to the original Zoop. She says she likes the size of the original better than the Novo. So, two birds with one stone: I get a relatively new Zoop that works with the same cable as my bricked D4i. She has her guilt over the unnecessary purchase somewhat assuaged.

Back
Top Bottom