Recommendations for first computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bvbellomo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am diving the Bahamas in October, and would like to have all my own gear (except tanks). I have never owned or used a dive a computer before. I am not a very experienced diver, but have been certified long enough that I was taught with tables when computers were something too new and expensive for people like me.

I am overwhelmed with the number of choices. Just to use Suunto for example, LP has 43 different models, many similar and in the same price range. I can't understand why any company would make so many similar products.

Air integrated is tempting, as they aren't much more expensive and then I don't need to buy a gauge. Does fewer pieces of equipment mean less to go wrong? Or as gauges are simpler, air integration has more that can go wrong? Or is everything reliable enough that it doesn't matter?

People say it is easier to look at your wrist than a console, but I need to look at my gauge anyway if I go without air integration. Wireless integration putting everything on my wrist isn't much more money, but I worry about one more thing that could go wrong.

If I just want a reliable option to replace tables, it seems like literally any dive computer does that. I have perfect uncorrected eyesight, don't need any fancy features but am a software developer so I don't mind learning a more technical product.

I hate to just buy the cheapest computer available, especially with so many within a few dollars of each other, but I don't see any other reason to buy one over another.

If you're a software developer looking for something you can develop on, I think the Garmin Descent Mk1 is the only one that has actual apps on it in addition to the dive computer functionality. That's certainly why I bought it!
It's pretty damn expensive though when compared to any regular dive computer, even ones with good screens and UI layout. It's also a watch form factor computer, which it sounds like you may not want.

Hate to overload you with options, but there is also the HUD form factor, though the only real option available right now is the Shearwater NERD, and I'm not sure what people that have used it think of it.

If you're looking for a good, bright console, the Sherwood Sage Air has a beautiful screen and information layout, while also being crazy expensive. In general, though, there are more wrist-mounted options than console options from what I've found.

I am looking to avoid Crazy Expensive, which seems to rule out those options.

I am not looking for something I can develop software on. My point being a software developer is that while I don't want to pay for bells and whistles, I don't otherwise prefer simple and easy to use over fully featured and complicated.

I really just want to avoid diving with tables, and especially diving in a group of people and being the only one using tables.

I'd recommend an air integrated wrist mounted computer, especially for a beginner. Most of us who use this and are safety conscious also keep an analog SPG on the other HP port as a backup. The purpose of air integration is not to get rid of a hose but to provide the tank pressure in one screen and to aid in gas management as the computer will also display the air time remaining. Running low or out of air is a leading cause of dive accidents.

The current crop of computers have a color display, nice for night diving.

As long as I use some sort of working gauge, I won't run out of air.

If I have a backup SPG, will my computer still function if the wireless connection or air integration fails? If not, I have to ascend anyway, so the backup SPG is of very limited value.

Buy a second hand Shearwater Petrel (non AI) or Perdix (non AI or with AI) and you will have no regrets. I bought a Petrel 2 and love it. Easy to learn and use, readable under water, operates on a single AA standard battery and super easy to replace. I've used Suunto Zoop and Vyper and ScubaPro Aladdin and Galileo. All good DCs. Personally I think my Petrel 2 is better. Good luck with your decision.

Look around for a used Oceanic ProPlus 2 or 3 for a straight forward, no nonsense AI console computer for a good price. If you want a good looking watch style non AI, the soon to be gone Oceanic GEO 2 is still available at an affordable $269. - a bargain. A wrist mounted AI computer is fun to have, but not essential.

Not crazy expensive but still great = Oceanic, Cressi & Aqualung computers

Great used options - Shearwater, Divesoft.

Wrist or console? - it comes down to your personal preference. For me, to avoid excessive drag, i use wrist mounted computer.

SPG? - good to have it as it is fool-proof, ie you forget to turn on Ai feature on before diving.

AI? - Good to have, will not kill you if you don't have. about the price - the Ai computer itself is not that expensive in comparison to the non Ai counter part but the transmitter is the real deal.

IDK about how would you develop a software for the computer though but hey if you know what are you doing then go for it - IMHO could be very dangerous because what you don't know might kill you.

Wrist or console? - it comes down to your personal preference. For me, to avoid excessive drag, i use wrist mounted computer.

Does this matter for a casual recreational dive? Is a console really that much more drag than a gauge?

AI? - Good to have, will not kill you if you don't have. about the price - the Ai computer itself is not that expensive in comparison to the non Ai counter part but the transmitter is the real deal.

Wow! I completely missed how they are sold separately. This option is out of my price range, at least unless I buy used.

IDK about how would you develop a software for the computer though but hey if you know what are you doing then go for it - IMHO could be very dangerous because what you don't know might kill you.

There is nothing magic about dive computers (or any computers). And if it were difficult, you wouldn't have thousands of different choices for essentially the same product. The only thing special about a dive computer is the hardware to sense depth. Everything else could be easily done with an Arduino or Raspberry PI, although manufactures are using smaller, cheaper, proprietary waterproof hardware which is going to be a little harder to work with but really the same process. I don't see the point, if I come up with a remarkably better idea for how to design a dive computer, I will patent it and sell it, not make anything just for personal use.

Look around for a used Oceanic ProPlus 2 or 3 for a straight forward, no nonsense AI console computer for a good price. If you want a good looking watch style non AI, the soon to be gone Oceanic GEO 2 is still available at an affordable $269. - a bargain. A wrist mounted AI computer is fun to have, but not essential.

Something like the Oceanic GEO 2 with a standard gauge probably makes the most sense on my budget. Any reason to choose this over the countless Suuntos, Cressi's and Aqualungs?

Back
Top Bottom