What's wrong with Cozumel in July?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dberry

Hydrophilic
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
We coming to Coz in mid July so we can spend a couple of days afterwards on Isla Mujeres to swim with the whale sharks, but July seems to be less popular here on SB. Is that due to the heat, the increased chances of hurricane, or something else? Swarms of vampire bats? Killer Mosquitos the size of eagles?

We have gone several time late June into July and I would not hesitate to do it again. But obviously it will be hot and there probably will be mosquitoes (they do spray but not always so effective)

Hot and mosquitoes, but we too are going late june into july to visit the whale sharks. That said, we rented an AirBNB with a private pool in the back yard to combat some of it this time.

It is hot, there is a chance of a hurricane. But boats will be fairly empty and you can get moderately good deals (though the best deals are in August after school starts).

I don’t mind coming to Coz in July, though for me a July stay means that access to a REAL swimming pool is an absolute necessity. That means that Casa Mexicana, Suites Bahia and Suites Colonial, places I would very gladly book for a December or January stay, are crossed off my list of acceptable hotels. I’ll go to Hotel Cozumel, with it’s HUGE swimming pool, or Casa Del Mar (ground floor garden level superior room, so I can walk out my patio door to the pool). Hotels without good AC are definitely out of the question. July is hot and humid, so be ready to sweat. A LOT. That also means that slightly less thermal protection when diving is OK, and there is no chance of getting chilled on the boat rides after diving. And there are smaller crowds, less noise, better deals.

PS. That also means a higher taxi budget for me. While I don’t mind the walk from Hotel Cozumel to downtown, or even the long hike from Casa Del Mar, during most of the year, in July I can’t make those walks without being a dripping wet mess by the end, so I’ll take a cab more often.

Def hot, especially the later in July. More chance of storms and the mosquitos are like huuuuuge. :)

Still under the water is muy bueno so just plan around the afternoon heat and its a good time!

I've gone during July every year for 8 years. It's been marvelous. it is hotter of course, so any nice long walks have to be done early in the day, or later, but then the mosquitoes can be more of an issue. The water clarity is not as good, but still totally fine. I haven't been skunked by the weather in July so far...in fact, it's always been really hot and dry.

It is worth it to go over to Isla Mujeres and spend a night or two, to experience the island as well as the whale sharks, if you can. It's beautiful and quiet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom