First regulator - leaning towards Scubapro or Atomic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dive Atomics. I actually went to the store to buy a MK25/S600 a decade ago but came home with an Atomic instead. The breathing is just effortless across their entire line (my octo is a Z). I might pop the extra hundred for the Z3 as it adds another year to the recommended service interval and the swivel on the 2nd stage. I've almost dropped mine out of my mouth it's so easy on your jaw.

The 2-3 year service interval saves you money over time over a reg with a 1 year interval. I think both of the SP models you're considering are also 2 years now though.

As Saxman said all you have to do is keep water from running down the hose from the 2nd stage to the 1st since the seat saver orifice is doing it's job when the reg is not pressurized. My simple solution is to drop both stages in the water but hang the hose on the faucet - water can't run uphill.

I've been diving various Atomics for a decade. One time the tech came out front to explain that the only reason he'd used the service kit was because he had it apart b4 he realized it didn't really need it. He also gave me the old parts to use as spares since they were still good.

If you plan to self-service, Deep6 is probably your best option currently - they even include a service kit with your purchase. They make it pretty easy, the service manual is on their website. I believe they also offer a service class at times.

HOG does also - their class is a TDI certified class. It's often taught in one day at the dive shows if you're near one. One of my local shops sponsored one recently, - about 10 people attended and they brought in someone HOG recommended from this area to teach.

My first regs are currently on order. After spending time here on the boards I decided to go with Deep 6. I'm a warm water only, rec diver. Wasn't interested in buying used. They will service them, they supply a service/ parts kit so I or a shop can perform repairs or service if needed or desired. Everything I've read about them leads me to believe that I will be very happy with them. Will know for sure later this summer!!

@Scuba Lawyer
Your picture will possibly put a number of readers into Cardiac arrest...

I was at the famed New Mexico Blue hole and I was informed that there was absolutely no diving prior to PADI,Inc - no magazines, no books no training manuals-- no training ! I suspect they also drank the PADI,Inc cool aid...

Yet , you display 2 hose regulators which went out of production the year PADI , Inc was established

Oh the horror of it all !

SDM
PS
Where is that beat up black USN 2 hose regulator I gave you with the understanding that you would never ever changed it ?
sdm

I'd recommend buying the regulators made in the USA.

p.s. I just bought my 4th Atomic set.

@Scuba Lawyer
Your picture will possibly put a number of readers into Cardiac arrest...

Where is that beat up black USN 2 hose regulator I gave you with the understanding that you would never ever changed it ?
sdm

Sam,

That reg can be seen face down in the photo at the 10:00 position from the voit Navy and at the 6:00 position from the USD 1085 metal 2nd stage. Haven't done anything with it. It does need some TLC to regain functionality.

Your old dive buddy,

Mark

I'm probably not the guy to answer your questions as my newest regulator is 20 years old. Kinda like a new car, a brand new reg has its charms and SP or Atomic will do you just fine. I like Atomics because I always believed they breathed easier than SP but it's purely personal and I've had friends tell me just the opposite. FYI, the guy that started Atomics is the same guy that worked for SP and designed some of the classic SP regs.

Sounds like you have the skill set to work on your own regs. It's not rocket science but it is regulator science. I have several SP MK5/109's from the 70's I bought off Ebay for $20, put $30 worth of new parts in and they breathe fantastic (to me anyway). I'm self-taught as I've never taken a reg repair class but have digested Regulator Savvy and a few other tomes. I don't recommend the learn on your own route for everyone but it is a facinating hobby and I really enjoy it. I probably posted this pic before, and my work bench is not the model of organization but, I have a lot of fun rebuilding regs, new and old, and I dive them all.... My 2psi. Mark

View attachment 521803
Old skool

Old skool

Yea, and I still dive back mounted 80s cave diving in Mexico while all my friends switched to sidemount years ago. I need someone to bring me into the 21st Century. :)

I like my Atomic a lot. Easy to breathe and dry in most any orientation. ScubaPro is fine. Research is your friend.

I'll add my last comments here... I see no point in testing new regulators out. You'd be a freak if you could tell the difference in performance at 15' or 20' (assuming they're tuned properly). I guess it's a good way for a shop to sell you their product, point out how it's so superior then the competition, etc...

I also agree with this. Most if not all regulators will breath very similar, especially a less demanding situation. Any difference, if you can even detect, is most likely down to tuning. See one in person really just make you feel better in emotional level.

I would say both SP and Atomic are really top quality, you can't go wrong. One small difference is if you travel a lot, you may find better support with SP than Atomic around the world. But Atomic is also very robust, not likely need much attention.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom