Computer recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stas

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been diving with Suunto Vytecs for more then a decade and I cant handle their repeat dive conservatism any more. I'm getting out of the water an hour later then my buddies on the 3rd dive of the day.

The extreme edge of my diving these days is air/nitrox dives with less then an hour of o2 deco.
I'm looking for a computer that will give me profiles similar v-planner on default settings. Nothing to aggressive but not Suunto conservative. I also dive with 2 identical computers for backup so I would need 2 of them so price is somewhat an issue. I don't care about any other feature like air integration, compass, that its a wrist watch, etc...

What would you all recommend? It doesn't have to be the newest thing out there. Just a reliable 2 gas computer with a good algorithm and track record of reliability.
Thanks, Stas

I'm looking for a computer that will give me profiles similar v-planner on default settings.

V-planner is VPM. OSTC, Shearwater, and Ratio will run that, but neither's exactly cheap.

Thanks all. Any thoughts on the Oceanic Veo series? On the surface it seems like a nice feature to be able to play around with the algorithm.

On a budget- the mares quad, it a comadates up to 3 gases. And is not overly conservative.

For the standard- shearwater perdix.

I have both, and dive with either or, depending on the dive.

i have a aqualung i 300 for sale with the data cable on here if you want a decent cpu for a good price canadian dollar upgrading to a led since most of my dives are low visibility

On a budget- the mares quad, it a comadates up to 3 gases. And is not overly conservative.

For the standard- shearwater perdix.

I have both, and dive with either or, depending on the dive.
I can second the mares quad. Great entry level computer. The screen is much larger than most others as well. Thought back light sucks

Nothing to aggressive but not Suunto conservative

Just to clarify a point:

The Suunto Eon (Steel and Core) both use Fused RGBM, the Suunto D5 runs the new flavour of fused rgbm (rgbm2) This algorithm has much different upper conservatism settings than the D6,D4 etc (P-1 appears to equate to the default setting on other Suunto computers)

I can attest from actual personal experience of numerous dives including up 48 repetitive dives, that the Suunto Fused RGBM pretty much mimics Buhlmann 16C of my Perdix which I also use if anything 16C is fractionally more conservivite set at 45/95 vs P-2 on the Suuntos. The difference is so small as to not bother with

I keep my deco's below a 15 minute hand on O2 so had no experience on how either would perform for longer hangs (I doubt much would change)

The Eon Steel is supposed to be getting Buhlmann 16C later this year on a firmware upgrade (along with Fused RGBM 2)

The Eon Steel is supposed to be getting Buhlmann 16C later this year on a firmware upgrade (along with Fused RGBM 2)

Are there thoughts on updating the firmware of other Suunto computers to this Fused RGBM 2 or Buhlmann algos such as Viper, etc.?

Are there thoughts on updating the firmware of other Suunto computers to this Fused RGBM 2 or Buhlmann algos such as Viper, etc.?

Your guess is as good as mine.

My gut feel is that for the moment (at least) they'll be no updates to the lower price computers.

I would speculate that they will be replaced by a "cheaper D5" and so keeping RGBM 2 for newly released computers is to assist marketing new products. I'm also guessing that only a low proportion of users of entry level computers have the ability (cables etc) or the interest in firmware upgrades again negating the need

Again pure speculation on my part, but all manufactures of anything wrap up new products with new (upgrades) as a carrot to get people to buy into new tech

Back
Top Bottom