Boston in June?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm not sure if @though13 is still monitoring this thread, but to him, and anyone else I may be willing to make the trip East and do some dives in Boston...

A little about me...
AOW/Nitrox Certified
150+/- dives (all Caribbean water)
Diving wet
I have my own tanks (2 HP 120's)... but wouldn't mind if my buddy's air cuts my dive short...

I'd be interested in, and happy to buddy up with a newer diver, as I'll be a rookie in the cold New England water myself... I'd also be VERY interested in hiring/ splitting a private DM/ guide...

Feel free to PM me, or reply in this thread... Very flexible with my schedule if I have a week or two notice.

Water will likely be around 50 degrees (+/- about 5 degrees) shallower dives might be warmer. Definitely check with some of the local dive shops - many of them host weekly shore dives and have dive guides for hire!
You're definitely going to want a 7mm wetsuit with a hooded vest or something similar. Lots of very good dives in the Cape Ann area, and many of them have very easy entry and exit. Visibility is often not great, so definitely go easy and don't stray too far from your buddy!

@noj3333 hey! I am going to be tied up most of the time I am there. However, I am thinking of trying to dive Sunday afternoon (6/16). Looking online, Boston Scuba has spots open on a 2PM charter to Calf Island. I am thinking about signing up for that.

North of Cape Cod is colder, because you're just that much farther away from the Gulf Stream, and closer to the Labrador Current. A Boston Harbor island like the one you're considering might be your best choice, you can sort of pick your maximum depth along the island slope. Renting gear is good, they'll know what thickness and weight you need.

I've dived New England only a little, and even in July the CHESTER POLING off Gloucester (via Cape Ann Divers, a good outfit, and this is a good dive) was 60F at the surface but 45F (ouch!!) at 80 feet on the deck of the ship.

Mass. diving is like broccoli for me---good for you, and you'll be glad (and proud) that you did it, and "dived the freakin North Atlantic Ocean!!", as they told me when I first dived off Barnstable. But the warmer stuff down south (I'm a Bostonian who moved to New Orleans long long ago) is more like strawberry shortcake ;-)

@noj3333 hey! I am going to be tied up most of the time I am there. However, I am thinking of trying to dive Sunday afternoon (6/16). Looking online, Boston Scuba has spots open on a 2PM charter to Calf Island. I am thinking about signing up for that.

My guess is the water temp on 6/16 in the Boston harbor area with be about 53 or 54. North of Cape Cod gets that cold northern current. It's warming up fast this time of year, wait until July for warm temps.

If you are able to drive to Rhode Island(about an hour) you can get a bit warmer, check out Giant Stride Dive Shop, they will have boat dives that day listed on their web site.

I'll be in Newport from June 16-July 18. My evenings are mostly free and I'll have my dive gear with me. Will need to rent a tank whenever I end up diving, though.

FYSA Dive On It dive shop does what they call Dive and Dine at Ft. Wetherill in Jamestown, looks like every other Sunday? I'm looking at heading out there Sunday June 16 but I haven't confirmed any details with the shop yet. Hopefully it happens and there's some turn out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom