Added tourniquet to my thigh pocket

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rooster59

Contributor
Reaction score
I've been reading the incidents re: shark bites involving swimmers / surfers / divers being bit. Had some conversations with an Army SF medic, and I decided to add a tourniquet in my thigh pocket. At least I'll have one handy in case of. This one is dead simple and will work ok at least for a while. You can practice to a point on yourself over and over easily.

https://www.amazon.com/6-5-2m-Emergency-Silicone-Tourniquet/dp/B00KF74KVI

The medic said it's a shame people die from blood loss that can be stopped right then at the time of the injury. We'll try and keep you alive while getting you on the boat / into shore. No guarantees, but we'll try.

Sounds like a good idea to me, especially if you dive where sharks and other nasties are fairly common. Many will say you're guarding against such a slight possibility of being bitten by a shark while diving that it's not worth it. Also that it's a better idea to have a tourniquet in the car because you're way more likely to die there--or from a dog bite or falling coconut. But I think it's a good idea--can't hurt anyway.

Please, if the head of your dive buddy has a close encounter with the dive boats prop, don't use the tourniquiet!

Success ratio > 0%

Michael

I've been reading the incidents re: shark bites involving swimmers / surfers / divers being bit. Had some conversations with an Army SF medic, and I decided to add a tourniquet in my thigh pocket. At least I'll have one handy in case of. This one is dead simple and will work ok at least for a while. You can practice to a point on yourself over and over easily.

https://www.amazon.com/6-5-2m-Emergency-Silicone-Tourniquet/dp/B00KF74KVI

The medic said it's a shame people die from blood loss that can be stopped right then at the time of the injury. We'll try and keep you alive while getting you on the boat / into shore. No guarantees, but we'll try.
Get an actual tourniquet, not a rubber band.

CAT or SOF-T.

The tourniquet was abandoned as a first aid tool several decades ago around here. If you need to stop a serious bleed, a pressure bandage is much, much better than a torniquet which will cut off circulation. A torniquet should be a last effort, when all other measures have proved to be ineffective. Like, when someone has lost a limb.

Evaluating new types of tourniquets by the Israeli Naval special warfare unit

The IDF uses Spanish Windlass/IRT improvised tourniquets for thigh injuries and your silicone one for only upper limb injuries.

You can't self apply a silicone tourniquet or an IRT without 2 hands.
You also need a windlass or torquing stick to complete an IRT tourniquet.
Both are not as quick to use for either when compared with CAT tourniquets.

Get a CAT tourniquet instead; you can apply that with 1 hand and it's more effective for limb and leg aterial bleeds. And have your medic friend give you some more background training on how to use one and what else you need to do after you apply one.

The tourniquet was abandoned as a first aid tool several decades ago around here. If you need to stop a serious bleed, a pressure bandage is much, much better than a torniquet which will cut off circulation. A torniquet should be a last effort, when all other measures have proved to be ineffective. Like, when someone has lost a limb.
actually it is now recommended for serious bleeds by all first aid training orgs.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom