Airport suitcase theft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Considering that the TSA here in the US fires some 500 baggage handlers/inspectors for pilferage and theft in a typical year, I'd say pilferage and theft are sadly the norm, and don't think anyplace is going to be totally free from that. Make sure you've got baggage insurance that covers what's in the bags, and carry the important things on board.

I have read several reports exposing baggage theft rings in the US. St. Louis, Atalanta and Miami (all cities where our bags were processed)are some of the worst for theft. As @uncfnp stated, the luggage in Bonaire goes from cargo hold, to tarmac and directly onto carousal, denying any opportunity or privacy for a thief to rummage through bags. We will never know who stole my friend's clothing, but my hunch is that was not in Bonaire.

Thanks. My hunch, too. It's almost certainly a connecting or originating airport that deserves the suspicion, not Bonaire. Zero evidence that little Flamingo Airport is to blame.

Pelican cases are awesome, I have one but it doesn’t stop some ******* to simply take the whole case and move it somewhere where he has tools to open it. Bring all your expensive easily stealable items on your carry on (in proper weight and dimensions) and all your bulky hard to steal stuff in your luggage bag.

Or get a coat with loads of pockets to put all your bits and bobs into. It’s legal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom