spare air? i use one and i get laughed at

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When people laugh at you, just smile and say "Yeah, but I'm one of their original brand ambassadors. I get paid $2.35 per thousand views for every picture of me that gets posted online showing the Spare Air. I've made THOUSANDS from it. DO me a favor and take my picture, post it online someplace, would you?"

When people laugh at you, just smile and say "Yeah, but I'm one of their original brand ambassadors. I get paid $2.35 per thousand views for every picture of me that gets posted online showing the Spare Air. I've made THOUSANDS from it. DO me a favor and take my picture, post it online someplace, would you?"
Kind of like by sharing some post on Facebook, I'm entered to win $10 million from Bill Gates?

Ignore the a$$h0les. I might want a bit more air to feel safe BUT, I am not the be all and end all. I am only good for me. If you feel safe and have considered the eventualities, eff all. Why give them a rent free room in your mind? In my not so humble opinion, some air is better than none.

Faulty argument, I see it all the time. Those 11 breaths (or whatever you might get) out of a Spare Air in an emergency can make the difference between life or death, and are most certainly not useless when you compare them to having NO air.

Take all the formulas and throw them out the window. If a diver is at 100 ft with nothing but a spare air cannister, the small amount of gas in there just might be enough to make it to the surface if it's used properly- as in- take a breath, release it slowly as you ascend, take another. If a panicky diver huffs and puffs and doesn't ascend quickly enough then sure, they can drain the tank in no time and prolong their life by perhaps another 30 seconds, it's a matter of how they deal with the emergency. That 30 seconds is still more than enough time to scrawl "I love you mom" on a slate. Definitely not useless. If someone can swim a 40' pool and back on the bottom underwater without taking a breath, then they can most certainly do the same thing vertically if they've got an air supply available to them, however small it may be.

As the diver ascends more gas may be available in their tank and in their BCD. Not seeing any of that in your formula either.

Spare Air can also be useful in reaching a buddy that might have gotten a bit too far away, and or give a few minutes to sort out a freeflow or other temporary issue.

To say a Spare Air is useless and throw a bunch of meaningless air consumption formulas out there, is somewhat shortsighted.

Any air is better than no air even if it’s two breaths I agree.

Although extra gear MAY also increase confidence to further facilitate poor diving practices (eg: cutting it close on gas) and this contributes to fatalities.

And people can talk about ponies and redundancy all they want, people are still idiots with the right equipment. Just because someone has all the correct safety gear, doesn’t mean they’re going to use it in it’s intended role as emergency gear.

Although extra gear MAY also increase confidence to further facilitate poor diving practices (eg: cutting it close on gas)

The false sense of security is the only valid argument I've ever heard in regard to Spare Air for use within recreational limits.

I wouldn't laugh at someone with a spare air. I used to have one (actually lost it on the "white glove" size in the bahamas). However, that 11 breath thing - have you actually tested it at depth? If you have a problem and switch to it, you better be on your way up. It is definitely better than not having any air and will give some help for a CESA. If you take any time to think while on it you will be OOO very quickly. Maybe 11 breaths at the surface while calm, but 4-5 at any depth and if you are excited and taking deep breaths (assuming you were needing air because primary failed several seconds ago..), you will be right back where you were with the initial failure. If you know what time you have with it, it will surely help in an emergency. If you don't and don't act quick enough it will be a useless device. I would say take a safe dive and test it at depth (simulating an OOO event - including increased stressed level) to give you a really good idea of your time to react. I've now invested in a pony, but it doesn't travel and is only used on deep dives - so having a spare air would still be of benefit (much easier to travel with - to just refill from rental tank).
You should try to breath a spare air down in a hurry on the surface. You will be dizzy before it is empty.

Spare air to finish deco, that hasn't been serviced in ten years.

This is a heckuva troll

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom