Airport suitcase theft

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Been there a lot. Never had or heard of a problem.

i agree with Kharon. I've never had a problem at the Flamingo airport with theft of bags or contents. I might but a cable tie around my zipper pulls just to see if a bag has been opened. The ties have never been tampered with there, but the video above suggests I might have been living in a fool's paradise.

Certainly there is no more risk of baggage handler theft in Bonaire then any other airport. In fact, flying in I would say the chance approaches zero. The bags go from the tarmac to the cart to the carousel and its all open air. Little time and no privacy for theft.

I pack my bags so full that if they did the zipper trick, they'd have a hard time keeping things from spilling out and attracting attention!

The risk is everywhere. Have not heard of it yet in Bon. I had a pony missing from my bag on a trip down to Bon. United admitted that it was stolen in Newark by a baggage handler and reimbursed me for it. They never explained how they knew.

Never had a problem. Always carry my regs/computer in a carry on bag. Usually have laptop bag (backpack basically) and a carry on. Helps keep me under the weight limit.

Have been to Bonaire twice over the past 12 months and haven't run into any problems at their airport. However, I take precautions. First, I do not use an expensive scuba bag. Just a regular luggage bag. Second, I lock up the bag. Third I use a plastic tie to also lock. The idea here is that it will take effort for anyone to steal from the luggage. I've heard that if you make it difficult to enter the bag that they likely will move onto the next one. Who knows but I'd rather take these precautions. Of course my dive computer and regs come with me on the carryon. Be safe when diving and be safe when travelling with expensive gear. BTW - have been to Curacao 4 times over the past 3 years and no issues there.

#1 - Don't be an idiot. Don't put anything of easy "grab-ability" with easy resale (eg: dive computer) in a checked bag no matter where you go.
#2 - Put a couple carabiners, dive clips, even clothespins on your stuff. Expect everything to be gone through for security purposes, but link everything together with an attachment to your bag to prevent the easy "grab stuff" action. Anything that delays a thief makes them look elsewhere for an easy target.

I have read several reports exposing baggage theft rings in the US. St. Louis, Atalanta and Miami (all cities where our bags were processed)are some of the worst for theft. As @uncfnp stated, the luggage in Bonaire goes from cargo hold, to tarmac and directly onto carousal, denying any opportunity or privacy for a thief to rummage through bags. We will never know who stole my friend's clothing, but my hunch is that was not in Bonaire.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom