Advice - Red Sea vs. Raja Rampat Liveaboard trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are much more likely to be stabbed in London or shot by a disgruntled high school teenager in cleveland than hit by a missile in Egypt...I wouldn’t worry about that. No one it targeting a liveaboard when they can kill 10x as many slow old ladies on a beach. The number of potential dead isn’t enough to justify the suicide. (I grew up in Saudi Arabia)

I was at brothers/thistlegorm/wrecks etc in November. It was great, but the northern reefs had a bit of trash on them and lots of degrading wet wipes. Only saw one or two longimanus. I’m not convinced you are going to see as many big fish as you think you are..

Personally I would say, as you already have it booked, stick with Red Sea. You will enjoy it. I always get FOMO regarding other trips as soon as I book one or a trip is coming up ‘ sh!t....should gave gone to galap !’ ....but I always have a good time... which boat are you booked on?
Thanks for the feedback. I am currently booked on MY Odyssey, Itinerary goes up north to the blue hole, than all the way south for 14 days.

Thanks everyone for the taking the time to reply and give me different points of view. I did attempt to do some research before settling on the Red Sea, however based on my habits I tend to always second guess myself. From the group comments it really sounds like the indonsesia LB would be absolutely amazing, not to take anything away from the Red Sea. So let me ask if the below changes anyones opinion on trip.

1. I am locked into a Aug availability date
a. Since Komodo is the better place to go in August than RA, does the comparison of Komodo vs. Red Sea change people opinion? Since many of the comments above were based on RA, and Aug does not sound like the time to goto RA, but Komodo instead.
b. Does Aug in the Red Sea change any views on whether to stick with Red Sea or goto Komodo LB?

I am currently booked on the Red Sea MY Odyssey LB, Itinerary takes me north to blue hole, than all the way south 14 days. For reference. I have about 6 days before my cancellation fee really jumps up to make a final locked in decision.

Regards

Komodo is leaps and bounds better than the Red Sea. The Red sea has a rep because its' good warm water diving easily accessible for a reasonable price from Europe. It has some great wrecks too

You'll prefer the climate too in Komodo too - but some dives can be a little sporty depending on your experience

If I do end up making the jump to Komodo LB, does anyone have any personal suggestions on a liveaboard. Looking for 10 day min / 14 day max. With little LB knowledge I am limited to simply going to the Padi or Liveaboard.com websites and booking through them.

My current favorite smaller liveaboard is the MSY Seahorse and they have a 10 day sailing in August that is currently on sale for an amazing price.

I like the Bali-Komodo-Bali Mermaid I

From USA you can fly directly to Denpasar, Bali, Indonesia & spend a few days touring Bali before or after the LOB. August is also the peak of Mola Mola season (see my avatar).

I did 3-day diving safari from Tulamben, Padang Bai, and Nusa Penida, back in August 2014. Saw 9 Mola Mola in Crystal Bay, Nusa Penida before boarding on the Mermaid I.

Do Red Sea now, leave Komodo till later. Then do Raja Ampat.
Dive up the scale of quality, that way you don't do Komodo then do the Red Sea and be aww this isn't as good as Komodo.
Then when you start diving Indo you can spend quite a few trips diving some of the top diving in the world. Be warned once you dive Indonesia it will get into your blood and you will do near anything to go back.

Edit:
I just got a scuba board trophy, stating I'm addicted. Yup, I am, to scuba board and Indo.

I completely agree with @dirtfarmer. The Red Sea is worth diving. You should go. Its good diving. It’s great value for what you get as well, especially the boats and the quality of diving. Definitely go to Komodo but wait to go to Komodo. You’re already booked in the Red Sea. You will enjoy it. You won’t enjoy it as much once you dive Indonesia. No sense losing a bit of a deposit or whatever.

Back
Top Bottom