Computer Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FYI I've never once used logic in any of my purchases with dive gear or cars (especially cars) - it's not a method I'd recommend though

Intriguing ... :) especially if it's 600 ponies plus!

Value for money is a good point and personal too

What actually separates a high end computer from a low end?

Obviously colour screen
Multiple gas's
AI
Tri Mix and CCR

For the following comparison I've used UK prices because I could find all the models available from one store which gave a comparable baseline (Prices in other regions will differ

Entry Level.
Zoop or Puck £200

Suunto
D5 £595
Eon Core £565
Eon Steel £675
(Transmitter £230 ea for these Suuntos)

Shearwater
Perdix £755
Perdix AI £857
Teric £995
(PPS Transmitter for the shearwaters £170 ea)

Mares
Genius £720

Aqualung
I770R £620

Garmin
Descent £900 (no AI)

Ratio
iX3M GPS £900 (Transmitter £295 ea)

OSTC - Not available in US :cool:
OSTC plus £570
OSTC 4 £1083

As you can see its anywhere from £600 - £1000 to get a colour screen. They all basically do the same amongst the other basic functions - and you could strap anyone of them and make any dive to 40m+ inc planned backgas deco, no problem. Yes there will be some differences is conservatism between entry level and higher end - even on the same algorithm.

What has to happen is people should make an informed choice and decide if teh additional features are worth the additional cost to them personally and at that time

I personally advise people not to look too far forward (buying a high end computer because they might go Tec in 2-3 years)
Who knows what models will be out in the future and frankley when you go down the Tec hole, then another £600-900 for a new computer in relation to the other equipment and training costs - is nothing.

FYI I've never once used logic in any of my purchases with dive gear or cars (especially cars) - it's not a method I'd recommend though

Good points. A low cost starter computer doesn't usually go to waste, even if the owner does move to tech. I still use my old Vyper as an NDL backup, or in gauge mode if I'm using tables and planning deco.

Really your categories ought to say marketed as rather than designed as. I have done deco dives on a Zoop, not accidentally staying over, but preplanned dives with significant hanging about. If you are doing back gas deco they are all capable.

The only real difference is support for multiple gases, trimix and CCR.

Does the OP own a drysuit yet? If not spend the money on that and buy the cheapest computer. Being warm is much better value for money.

I have also done deco on Zoop. It would not be my first choice though.

Cost is such an easy metric, it becomes confusing when you take it out of the decision making process. In 2006 I bought a really great heavy duty PC, and I’m still using it today, although it’s days are numbered! It was expensive but taken over it’s 13 year, trouble free life cycle, it was cheap. More importantly, it’s been easy to use, fast, and dependable - priceless attributes! If the price differentials on dive computers were tens of thousand of dollars, it would be one thing, but if you decide you’d like AI, and a big easy to see screen, only a few hundred dollars separates them all. Over the lifetime of the device it’s chump change. Some may say buy a Cressi, it’s all you need, and that may be true. Not too long ago, diving existed without computers, and in the very beginning without gauges! Thankfully times have changed!

Ratio
iX3M GPS £900

There are SEVERAL models of the iX3M computer within two categories (with GPS or without) and each category has several models. The price indicated above isn't representative of all models from each category.

Prices for the iX3M vary from €699.95 (iX3M PRO Easy) to €1,199.95 (iX3M GPS REB) with seven (7) models to choose from in the iX3M series.

The watch size Ratio computers vary in prices from €399.95 to €899.95 with seven (7) models to choose from also.

I have been using the Ratio iX3M Tech+ computer for almost a year now and I love it. Easy to set up and use. The manufacturer updates the firmware frequently adding more features. Awesome screen with very bright colors I have no problem seeing even on the surface in very bright sun in Libya. The screen can be easily read even when read at an angle. Battery life is excellent (USB rechargeable).

Ratio also has the new iDivecolor watch version that is fantastic also.

In all versions, you can start with their recreational versions and update the software to more advanced versions when you need to in the future and pay the price difference for the software upgrade so you don't have to pay the high price for the top of the line tech. version from the beginning.

I didn't read anything in the information on their site saying that you can upgrade the software later.
Did I miss something ?

He said iratio has the feature.

I "presume" you can upgrade each model because it's only software, but you'd need to confirm

I haven't tried one, and why they do have some "fun novelty " apps/features their price point is the same or slightly more than models from more establish and trusted brands. there you have the conundrum. Is there anything on a Ratio that would persuade someone to move away from the others.

Maybe the was it measures total gas volume of all cylinders and perhaps the colour changing on the tx may appeal to some, or perhaps the replaceable Li-ion battery.

My gut feeling is, they are not strong features that would tempt an experienced Tech diver etc

If I dived one I might be blown away, but as it stands I still need convincing not to go that way. For me losing the graphical display and customisation of the Eon is a big point - but that's just me

I didn't read anything in the information on their site saying that you can upgrade the software later.
Did I miss something ?

It may not have made it to their website yet. The feature has been available in their computers for a while (since the beginning actually) and not advertised but it was confirmed to me in person by their head of engineering that they will be making it available to the public very soon when I met with him a couple of months ago. They will probably put it on their website when they have all of the systems in place with their dealers to do it in the field.

Back
Top Bottom