Shore entries with full-foot fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bottom line is you need new fins, take a look at scubapro GO or GO Sport, they are my “GO” to fins now for warm and cold water.

I designed my gear to be as lightweight, easy to travel with and streamlined as possible, that's the priority #1.

I did the same in making my gear lightweight for travel. My last purchase was full foot fins 4 years ago. I haven't been in water lower than 75º F and the full foot fins are fine temperature-wise. Basically it cut down on me carrying boots and gave me a little (negligible amount) more room to cram stuff in a suitcase/bag.

I used to think of the choices purely as cold water fins and warm water fins but put that to the wayside a long time ago.

I thought the same and in the last 4 years, have only taken and used my open heel fins on a trip where I thought the water in cenotes we were diving was going to be cold. I also have now put that thought to the wayside as on my most recent trip to Kauai, we did a shore dive and I wasn't prepared, nor was I forewarned (not that I could have done anything about it.) The entry was through various size rocks with small surges of water throwing me off balance. We carried our fins until we hit a depth we could swim in. Boots sure would have been nice that day! My second toe was purple for days after kicking a rock.

Those socks seem to be exactly what I'm looking for

3mm neoprene - add ½ size to your foot size. Definitely wouldn't work with my full foot fins and probably not anyones assuming a snug fit of the full foot fins.

Is there a slim boot that I can wear with full-foot fins? Or a pair of socks with a hard sole? Or any other alternative?

Since my experience with the purple toe, I have also looked for something. I think the alternative is to wear some thin, flexible sock that provides some traction/protection and can be folded up and put in a bc pocket when you're ready to slip your fins on. I'm going to check out the following as they seem to be lightweight and easy to pack:

NEOSPORT XSpan Low-Top 2mm Neoprene Socks

How about just getting a pair of crocs and wearing them into the water, then threading a loop of shock cord through the heels and clip it to your bcd?

How about just getting a pair of crocs and wearing them into the water, then threading a loop of shock cord through the heels and clip it to your bcd?
Yeah, that's what I do now with Havaianas. Crocs would offer more protection than flip-flops.

I used to think of the choices purely as cold water fins and warm water fins but put that to the wayside a long time ago.
Agree. I did my training in Gili Trawangan where the water was warm (27°C) but the entry was a pain because I had to walk over dead broken coral.

3mm neoprene - add ½ size to your foot size. Definitely wouldn't work with my full foot fins and probably not anyones assuming a snug fit of the full foot fins.
I'm not too worried about the size. I can take the socks off before slipping my fins on and store them in a pocket and use the fins that I already have.
Or I can buy a new pair of the fins I have ½ size larger, they're cheap.

Thanks!

Yeah, that's what I do now with Havaianas. Crocs would offer more protection than flip-flops.

Agree. I did my training in Gili Trawangan where the water was warm (27°C) but the entry was a pain because I had to walk over dead broken coral.

I'm not too worried about the size. I can take the socks off before slipping my fins on and store them in a pocket and use the fins that I already have.
Or I can buy a new pair of the fins I have ½ size larger, they're cheap.

Thanks!
Keep the closed heel fins, there are quite a few shore dives around Sydney you can still where them which have beach entry, get a pair of open heel fins and booties for other locations and winter chilllll

I've bitten the bullet!
So I went diving yesterday and one guy had the new Scubapro Go Sport fins which are basically identical to the Go Travel fins but designed to be worn with boots. They're very light and compact, I liked them.
I compared the blade with the Seawing Nova (which every dive master seem to have nowadays). They both behave pretty much the same way, bending to 45° when you kick down (good for flutter kick) and maintaining the shape when you kick back (good for frog kicks).
They both have a similar sized blade but the Go Sport is more compact and lightweight.

So I went ahead and ordered a pair of the Go Sport with a pair of Tusa low cut boots. I'll let you know how I like them after a couple of dives.

Cheers

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom