Global shortage of helium?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right now the "shortage" in the world is not so much supply but production. There are a couple of new production plants that are supposed to be on line in the next couple of years in Russia and in the Middle East. The word is by 2022 it will relax a bit.

The only other experimental gas I have heard of is Neon. However I cant find any information on it. Hydreliox/ "quadmix" may be the future for OC divers.

The only other experimental gas I have heard of is Neon. However I cant find any information on it. Hydreliox/ "quadmix" may be the future for OC divers.
neon is in theory usable but makes helium looks downright cheap.

neon is currently trading at about $9-10usd per cubic foot

neon is in theory usable but makes helium looks downright cheap.

neon is currently trading at about $9-10usd per cubic foot
Sure, but can you get it?

I just checked my local supplier. Helium is about $2.25 cu/ft and rising. Neon is running at $19 cu/ft!

Stupid question: How can we process helium from an LNG plant? We have good relationship with an LNG plant (ie. subcontractors for them). We are also in a remote part of Indonesia.. but would like to introduce tech diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom