Running the boat over my head after back roll.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

. No. When you enter in bouyant condition, you are by definition out of control. The force of entry drives you underwater with considerable force, the before you can do much of anything, your excess bouyant force drive you back to the surface, probably in a head up position. This does not keep you safe from a propellor or rudder

this is false. if you back roll off a boat you are already within two feet of the water. You will not sink unless you try to do a full flip. you may go under a foot maybe two feet at most and only a part of you. backrolling is almost in the water already. otherwise you giant stride.

you are not out of control in a positively boyant condition you are actually SAFE. In control ON the surface. maybe if you are a large human and have a LOT of weight you drop three feet. and are instantly back up and by the way you dont backroll of the BACK of a boat so you are beside the boat IN control and boyant away from a prop.

so much wrong with all of this.

Well it really depends. With center console boats there tends to be a much bigger dead rise. Even in my little Mako 224 if you roll off the bow you got a 3-4 foot drop.

When I roll off my buddies 40 ft whaler it is even bigger than that. As noted above the idea is to all drop at the same time, so you will be geared up and sitting on the gunnel waiting for the captain to go back over the spot. For instance on this type of boat, the only place you can do a giant stride is through the tuna door and its only big enough for 1 person.

The bigger drop can seem intimidating at first so you would want to have a little practice on a short drop first but other than that you can roll from anywhere.

If there is a 4 foot drop you giant stride. Not rocket science. No one should BACKROLL four feet before hitting water.

I personally don't ever neg entry. I'll do a quick check on the surface of me and buddy then descend slowly for the 1st 6m/20' sorting myself enroute (a wriggle in the gear, maybe cinch up a strap etc) make a bubble check and then off we go. Basic stuff and best practice

Even in current with me going slow at the start I'll still be on the site ahead of others huffing and puffing through a bit of current.

Entries - generally back roll whether that be simple single tank BM or SM or either of the two with a scooter and AL 80 deco's. But it its a long drop or a flat (ish) deck then step off. All the same. As you broach the surface a hand should be above your head anyway as a precaution - just as taught in basic class (like holding onto your mask

I'll NEVER drop until someone answers my "Am I clear" question with an affirmative. and I dont' put my hood up until I'm about to descend

Sometimes I'm "driving" the boat. on occasions we have to drop divers with the props running. They go off the bow into a sheltered area and I'm holding in reverse, as soon as they splash i'm pulling away. BUT we always have a safety spotter. Similarly occasionally on diver pick up (we don't tie up the boats) I have to keep props running to keep a stable platform against wind, waves and or current. But I always have eyes on divers and hands on throttles as their safety is in my hands.

Non of this is really applicable to the actual incident as it was clearly a malicious action

if you back roll off a boat you are already within two feet of the water.

If there is a 4 foot drop you giant stride.
Depends on whether or not there's a gate you can shuffle through. Not all boats have that, and frankly, I'd much rather do a 120cm (4 feet) backroll than climbing up on the gunwale in full gear to do a giant stride.

No one should BACKROLL four feet before hitting water.
Huh. I've done it on several occasions. Never had an issue. Of course I didn't do that the first time I backrolled off a boat. My first backroll ever was from my own boat (this model), and I believe that while its gunwale probably isn't some four feet above the water, I'm pretty certain it's a little bit more than two feet above the water.

You're very certain about your opinions, particularly considering your stated experience...

if you back roll off a boat you are already within two feet of the water. You will not sink unless you try to do a full flip.

Speaking of a full flip, I remember doing a full-flip back-roll underwater and ending up my head being so close to the side of the boat and pushing myself away from the boat with my hand instead of kicking away with my fins. Had the boat moved forward for any reason, my head would have been too close to the propeller, not good! The lesson here for me is don't do the full-flip back-roll underwater. Just do a quarter turn of my back, from vertical to horizontal and kick with my fins away from the boat right away before checking out the rest of the gear and my dive buddy readiness (thumb down signal) for safely descent.

Did OP do a full-flip back-roll underwater, I wonder?

unless its specified NO newer divers should roll in with BCD DEFLATED. Period.
Meh. It depends on the dive. I dive pretty neutrally, which means I have to exhale to get negative. I take two breaths while watching my SPG so I know my air is on, exhale and get off the boat. If my feet are up, I'm almost always kicking for depth to get below any props. Below ten feet, I relax and breath myself down. I also teach my students the same and will meet them or my buddy near the bottom.

FWIW, I've had my air turned off by well meaning boat mates. I just reach back and turn on my air and continue the dive. No biggie and I didn't even have to die.

If there is a 4 foot drop you giant stride. Not rocket science. No one should BACKROLL four feet before hitting water.

So let me get this straight, you want me to instead climb 4 feet up on the gunwale which is about a foot wide, hold my balance, while I have fins on and a tank strapped to my back, and then giant stride off the boat?

So let me get this straight, you want me to instead climb 4 feet up on the gunwale which is about a foot wide, hold my balance, while I have fins on and a tank strapped to my back, and then giant stride off the boat?
I'm with you. In fact, I 'back roll' off the stern as well. I call it a "sit entry", but I don't do giant strides anywhere.

One of the questions in the PADI OW exam is something like "what is the best entry method?". One of our trainee DM's insisted that the right answer was a giant stride. His punishment: to demonstrate a giant stride from the beach! :D.

the gunwale which is about a foot wide
That's not too bad. Try it on a 10cm (4") wide gunwale.

No, I never have, and I never will. On one of our club's boats it's about half a meter from the deck to the gunwale, some 1-1.5m from the gunwale to the water. And the gunwale is some 10cm wide. I sit down on the gunwale and just let myself fall backwards. Hit the water tank first, see some green and some bubbles, do a tiny bit of trashing to get my bearing back and suddenly I'm at the surface again. Sometimes I do the backwards somersault thing underwater, sometimes I just float up again. It all depends on how far back I've rolled before hitting the water.

I know this guy whom I've never seen do a giant stride. He just falls sideways, cradling his camera rig against his other side. I prefer having my camera handed to me after I've come back to the surface.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom