Running the boat over my head after back roll.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You are too nice to let him get away with attempted murder.
Yeah, you lose a lot of 'rights' when you leave the States. I'm glad she's healing and wonder if she's still diving?

Yeah, you lose a lot of 'rights' when you leave the States. I'm glad she's healing and wonder if she's still diving?

She just posted in the thread this morning.

She just posted in the thread this morning.
She even quoted me, but I don't see an indication that's she's done any diving since then... or not diving either. Enquiring minds want to know! :D :D :D

So tell us how you do it safely?

I think we are talking about small boat with perhaps the side of the boat is about 2’ from water surface. We are not talking about a big boat with 4-6’ drop where giant stride would be a better way of entry. The more air BCD the quicker you would bounce back up to the surface and fin away from the boat that tries to run you over.

If you don’t need to surface to signal etc. then enter negative. It is safest if the boat is moving straight and gliding and in neutral. Diver and capt coordinate and capt dictates when to roll. It is important that the diver be able to roll immediately upon command, so the entry is done while the boat is gliding forward. Obviously the capt has to ask the diver before the drop in order to confirm readiness to roll- instantly upon command.

Sounds like a lot, but is simple to execute if communication is maintained. Once the diver rolls, it is best that they extend legs and kick downward vertically in an upside down position immediately. If the diver does this they are down and safe even if the capt accidentally left the boat in gear and idling. Which, some divers may find surprising, is not that difficult of a mistake for a captain to make - especially if he is unfamiliar with the throttle controls. And no it should not ever happen, but it can and does happen.

Once the divers are off the boat, the captain can look back and look around the boat and confirm that there are no bubbles immediately under or around the boat and he can drop it into gear and idle away - which may be desirable if the divers are carrying a float. You don't want the boat to be driven into the float by the wind and get tangled up in line. Once the boat gets wrapped up with a floatline, you have new problems and potential ways to compromise safety and screw up the dive. This is one of the benefits of rolling off as the boat is gently gliding forward: the divers and boat are almost immediately separated by a safe distance and the capt regains his ability to navigate the vessel safely.

I think we are talking about small boat with perhaps the side of the boat is about 2’ from water surface. We are not talking about a big boat with 4-6’ drop where giant stride would be a better way of entry.

Well it really depends. With center console boats there tends to be a much bigger dead rise. Even in my little Mako 224 if you roll off the bow you got a 3-4 foot drop.

When I roll off my buddies 40 ft whaler it is even bigger than that. As noted above the idea is to all drop at the same time, so you will be geared up and sitting on the gunnel waiting for the captain to go back over the spot. For instance on this type of boat, the only place you can do a giant stride is through the tuna door and its only big enough for 1 person.

The bigger drop can seem intimidating at first so you would want to have a little practice on a short drop first but other than that you can roll from anywhere.

With a RHIB, the likely hood is that the diver will be below the sponson (inflatable portion of the boat)

full.jpg

Well, I would suggest no one would wanna be anywhere near this sponson hey Zef

The recommendation is for the diver to roll over in a negative condition. That is correct; it doesn;t matter what some book says.

Being negative does not necessarily mean that you are going to sink uncontrollably. If you are negative and have the tank off, then swim up. After you are a safe distance from the boat.

The boat can cause very significant injury with the prop stopped. It is like getting hit with the back side of a machete. You come up, head first under a prop in rough water and you can easily have your skull split. The diver is much, much safer 10 feet down and sinking or adding a little air if they don't want to sink.

What you fail to understand (apparently) is that if the boat is stopped, the engine is off and someone does a back roll, and then screws up a little and then spins around they can pop up uncontrollably, under the boat and into the prop. all it takes is for the wind to be blowing the boat sideways and the diver rolls on the leeward side, instantly the boat is on top of them. This is a real and significant danger.

Ideally, the boat should be moving forward (straight ahead) when a back roll is performed and the divers in the rear of the boat roll first and then the next most forward diver rolls. The boat's forward motion helps to eliminate the potential for accidents. Of course the engine should be out of gear, but even if the boat is IN GEAR, if the boat is moving straight forward and the diver does a decent roll and goes straight down, there is little (essentially zero) chance for an impact between the boat and diver.

lol. I understand completely about rolling off a boat and props. what you fail to realize is that most divers are average in regards to care and safety. observations same. Most insta buddys ive seen just run around by themselves dont check their own gear or their insta partners and just jump in. Ive seen personally boat crew shut down my air just checking tanks right before I dive in.

things like that cause people to die.

im not talking about us on this forum sir so slow your roll.

in general most divers should NEVER DO NEGATIVE ENTRY ROLLING OFF A BOAT.

I stand by that because newer divers are the ones that can get in trouble and plenty of inexperienced divers are rolling off boats.
think what you will and what you want but you are wrong.

you just called me wrong so right back at you.

unless its specified NO newer divers should roll in with BCD DEFLATED. Period.

I was replying to increasemyT and hes said plenty of dangerous things if followed by your average diver.

I wont quote other threads as the chairman justly wont be amused but you sir are WRONG in this instance and cannot prove me wrong.

dont cite one offs.....

i replied to someone that is inherently risky in his diving behavior.

you condone that and agree with him and you risk others.

I will not stand by you.

If a diver is back rolling off a boat and needs to return to the surface right away to give an ok signal or to retrieve a piece of gear that is to be handed off from the boat, this does NOT require that the entry be made with a lot of air in the bc.

Once a diver enters, regains orientation, and kicks down and away for a few moments, they should be able to look up and (if the visibility is decent) see the surface and then safely ascend 5 or 10 feet and get their “prize”. Going in neutral or a little negative does not mean the diver is out of control or sinking rapidly.

I personally get dizzy very easily and I hated back rolls for a long time, primarily because of the ensuing disorientation which lasted for a few moments. It took many dozens of entries before it became routine and I no longer have any disorientation.

My point here is that for new divers, a back roll can be pretty weird and it is EASY to screw up and roll and the spin the wrong way and end up under the boat, especially if there is a cross wind blowing the boat over you and you enter the water in a very positive condition.

the problem is not that a negative entry can be done by inexperienced divers and survive. The problem is they may have forgotten to turn air on and are severely overweighted and panic and or had a malfunction of some sort.

Negative entries should be practiced as they can be proplematic for many people. The person in this thread suggesting negative entry by the way is saying take ALL THE AIR out of your bcd and get down as quick as possible.

If you dont see a problem with that in your average every day tropical dive then you must dive only with master divers or dive masters.

Most divers should not do this due to physical limitations, fitness level, experience or lack of, problems with equalizing, lack of situational awareness, and the list goes on.

I know i can do it every dive and you can and most of us reading this forum can but most on vacation....nah buddy....

Back
Top Bottom