Shore diving question...booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Good point and I don’t have an answer. The boot on the left is the pair she was wearing and recommended. I know others have recommended lace up Converse sneakers and the Columbia’s above with bungee (@plj). With the open heel of the Columbia’s I wondered about the fit and feel of the fin strap.

The fin strap isn't an issue for me. The strap naturally stays around the sole at least in my case. I also wear dry fit socks with them when I dive. That helps avoid pressure from the laces and irritation from sand. I picked these up after meeting a group in Bonaire wearing them.

For tropical diving I like a low cut booties as they're easier to quickly put on and off. Unfortunately low booties often come with thin soles. To get thick soles you often end up with high booties.

The Akona and Tusa ones mentioned earlier seem like a good choice. When I worked in Bonaire I used these Tusa ones:

View attachment 518614

Unfortunately Tusa seemed to have changed the design, and the new one have a way less sturdy sole. After a bit of research my current and favorite one is the Aqualung Caribbean.

View attachment 518615

Amazon.com: Deep See by Aqua Lung 3mm Caribbean Boot (5): Sports & Outdoors

Thanks. I just ordered these and got them yesterday. They look perfect. Going to dive in the pool later with them.

Jason

This is Bruce from SEASOFT. Most people really have a lot of issues with dive booties because there are no orthotics. Even our dive booties which have a 4 mm arch support can be non-supportive if someone has high arches. Your foot will then slide around inside the bootie which is unpleasant and feels unstable.

TRY THIS. Go to a drug store and buy a pair of insoles with orthotics or arch supports (arch supports keep your feet from sliding out of the front of your bootie). You will be surprised how much help they can be. They are not a substitute for a great bootie but they can get you by until you're ready to spend the cash to get a great pair.

Dive safe.

Bruce

I wear Fouth Element Amphibian dive boots. Their webpage says they only go up to US size 14, but perhaps they’ll run big for you? Amphibian Boots - Fourth Element

Another option from Tusa TUSA | Boots | Imprex (Dive Boot) They only go to US 14.5 though, but once again maybe they’ll run big.

Pinnacle has size 15. Their dry suit boot looks good. Boots — Pinnacle

Have you considered a water shoe like Chaco or Salomon; or, Converse Chuck Taylor high tops?

Hey Bruce whats the scubaboard discount on a pair of those?:wink::wink:
On a serious note, I am considering getting a pair before my trip. They look awesome.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom