Repair or Replace ?? Thank you! (Another BCD Question)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Problem:
1st leak. My BCD leaked towards the end of a liveaboard last summer, the seal around dump valve was ripped as I was told, and crew tried to fix it by gluing/sealing off the area while I borrowed a BCD from the boat.

The BCD seemed ok after it was dry. When I washed all the gears after getting home, I was able to orally inflate the BCD and hung it to dry. It stayed partially inflated in the storage.

2nd leak. Fast forward to Christmas last month. 2nd (or 3rd?) dive on a liveaboard, I noticed my BCD was leaking during hook-in (great timing...says no one ever :(). Crew took out the valve and then told me they couldn't fix it. I dived on a rental for the rest of the trip, no biggie. I remembered packing the BCD but forgot to ask for the valve that had been taken out.

About the BCD:
Sherwood, female model (not sure if it's luna and I've not noticed any difference from regular model), with integrated weight pockets.

Someone I know was helping a local dealer to offload some stock about 4 years ago, not sure how long it had sat in the warehouse though. It was a good fit so I bought it. Well, it still fits me fine, and I've had about 80+ dives on it.

Question:
Shall I bring it to a dive shop and get it fixed? or move on to a new BCD?

Thank you all very much! x

LF...

There's all kinds of ''magic-mikes'' in the field that will claim they can fix anything...

The damage you are describing should not be fixed....or attempted to be fixed...especially if the BCD is still wet...salt water wet...

Aquaseal...used properly is a great product...but like everything else...has its limits...and there are certainly lots of things it should not be used on...

Stay safe...buy a new BCD...

Warren...

Assuming it has standard threads, you could just replace the entire assembly.
Remote Exhaust Elbow Inflation Assemblies
Worst case scenario would be having to return the replacement to DGX if the threads don't match.

Plus 1. If the inflator is in the same condition as the hose, it probably needs to be replaced or the O-rings changed. Probably just similar to follow the above advice assuming the rest of you BC is in good shape. Also, you do not need an Oceanic inflator. The generic one in the attachment is fine. Finally, on a new one, the exhaust elbow would be a lower profile.

@Land Fish

There is a beginning, a middle and end ...
Items are new. used and worn out

in some instances the life can be extended via repair, replacement or modification.

If repaired, replaced or modified the unit - and especially floatation equipment should be tested
A) Fully inflate and allow to remain inflated for at least 24 hours
B) Fully inflate submerge in water for an additional 24 hours with a weight securing it to the bottom, -the weight simulates water pressure

If used in salt water periodically soak the interior with Downey soap solution - After much experimentation it was discovered that Downey breaks up salt crystals.

Flush several times prior to usage or storage

Good luck
Sam Miller, III

Yes, and if the tires on your automobile are worn-buy a new car.

@Alvin Slovinsky

There are a few options to consider. @rongoodman linked to what is probably the simplest. If you're going with an entire assembly replacement you should also replace the flange seal. Dive Rite Bladder Flange Gasket

Another option is to replace the just hose.
Remove the clamp that fastens the hose to the elbow.
Remove the clamp that fastens the hose to the inflator.
Partially remove the pin that secures the pull dump cable to the power inflator, and slide the cable off. Remove the power inflator.
Measure the diameter of the inflator. If it's one inch, you're in luck as that is a standard size and available at BCD Parts and Components | Dive Gear Express® Measure the length of the old hose and replace with the same length.
Install the new hose in reverse order after you've inspected the cable for corrosion and security.

Still another option is to remove the pull dump assembly and replace with a standard elbow and hose-order the parts from the same site.

If that's not enough options, you can replace the power inflator/hose/and standard elbow as a unit (don't forget the flange seal):
Plain Elbow Inflation Hose Assemblies

Personally, I prefer NOT to have a pull dump on my inflator assembly as it:
Puts stress on the BC/wing in a critical area.
Pull dumps have a higher parts count meaning more parts to fail.
They put stress on the corrugated hose leading to breakage-but you already know that. :)

If you have a gimpy hand or shoulder where a pull dump makes more sense, that's a different story.

LF...

There's all kinds of ''magic-mikes'' in the field that will claim they can fix anything...

The damage you are describing should not be fixed....or attempted to be fixed...especially if the BCD is still wet...salt water wet...

Aquaseal...used properly is a great product...but like everything else...has its limits...and there are certainly lots of things it should not be used on...

Warren...
The BCD is in excellent shape only the hose got pulled on something and it pulled apart but I’m not taking chances will still have it tested afterwards. Thank you all for your advice it’s much appreciated and valued as well.

Yes, and if the tires on your automobile are worn-buy a new car.

There are a few options to consider. @rongoodman linked to what is probably the simplest. If you're going with an entire assembly replacement you should also replace the flange seal. Dive Rite Bladder Flange Gasket

Another option is to replace the just hose.
Remove the clamp that fastens the hose to the elbow.
Remove the clamp that fastens the hose to the inflator.
Partially remove the pin that secures the pull dump cable to the power inflator, and slide the cable off. Remove the power inflator.
Measure the diameter of the inflator. If it's one inch, you're in luck as that is a standard size and available at BCD Parts and Components | Dive Gear Express® Measure the length of the old hose and replace with the same length.
Install the new hose in reverse order after you've inspected the cable for corrosion and security.

Still another option is to remove the pull dump assembly and replace with a standard elbow and hose-order the parts from the same site.

If that's not enough options, you can replace the power inflator/hose/and standard elbow as a unit (don't forget the flange seal):
Plain Elbow Inflation Hose Assemblies

Personally, I prefer NOT to have a pull dump on my inflator assembly as it:
Puts stress on the BC/wing in a critical area.
Pull dumps have a higher parts count meaning more parts to fail.
They put stress on the corrugated hose leading to breakage-but you already know that. :)

If you have a gimpy hand or shoulder where a pull dump makes more sense, that's a different story.

COUV...

Just the tires...and a poor analogy...

Remember who we're trying to help...

Limited experience...what to repair...how to ''properly repair it''...what to use to properly repair it...and where to get what is needed to repair it...''properly''...

It would appear the OP...has none of the above...location ''Asia''...not unlike some areas in the Caribbean...no inspection...no maintenance...no repairs...and NO parts...

Lots of sales on right now...and a typical recreational BCD...is not exactly a bank breaker...

Why take a chance on something that has already failed twice...in this case...the third time is definately not the ''charm''...

Best...

Warren

The BCD is in excellent shape only the hose got pulled on something and it pulled apart but I’m not taking chances will still have it tested afterwards. Thank you all for your advice it’s much appreciated and valued as well.
You definitely need to replace the hose, and that inflator mechanism is pretty old too. Might be simplest to replace the whole assembly starting at the top. Since you can see inside the hose now without any disassembly, is the dump pull cable there and intact?

You definitely need to replace the hose, and that inflator mechanism is pretty old too. Might be simplest to replace the whole assembly starting at the top. Since you can see inside the hose now without any disassembly, is the dump pull cable there and intact?
Yes it is and still intact the BCD is in excellent shape just the hose that has the problem with it but the inflator valve looks like it’s a one piece that’s attached to the coiled inflator hose.

@Land Fish

There is a beginning, a middle and end ...
Items are new. used and worn out

in some instances the life can be extended via repair, replacement or modification.

If repaired, replaced or modified the unit - and especially floatation equipment should be tested
A) Fully inflate and allow to remain inflated for at least 24 hours
B) Fully inflate submerge in water for an additional 24 hours with a weight securing it to the bottom, -the weight simulates water pressure

If used in salt water periodically soak the interior with Downey soap solution - After much experimentation it was discovered that Downey breaks up salt crystals.

Flush several times prior to usage or storage

Good luck
Sam Miller, III
I picked this one up for a very good price and have no issue spending money to get it serviced but if the hose and inflator valve are an easy replacement I would rather do it myself. I took another BCD in to my dive shop and he replaced a spring on it only and it still cost me $90.00 and that is $65.00 per hour labour rate. That’s what really hurts

Just the tires...and a poor analogy...

You're correct. Poor analogy, I should have used "radiator hose" instead. BTW I addressed the OP's question early in the thread. My post #24 was to address @Alvin Slovinsky 's question.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom