Is nitrox worth it for deeper rec dives?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ChuckP Dude, chill. Did the winky face smiley after my post indicate anything at all to you?

I wasn't tailoring advice (or making blanket statements) to anyone, just pointing out that you brought up two things that have been hotly (and repeatedly) debated in the past on SB.

Also, for 30min at 130-170', us macho men, women and children wouldn't use 100% either - 50% is much better in reducing your min gas and fulfilling deco requirements.

EDIT: Clarified deco details

That's multi deco 45/75 but I'm sure that is far too conservative for you DIR/GUE macho men. The facts are that in the 130-170' depth, single deco gas and 30 minute bottom times, 100 provides zero benefit, 80 is a better choice whether the dive goes as planned or you over stay your welcome.

Then again 80 proves zero benefit compared to 50% on such dives.

So - who was the 80 verses 100 reply too? How does she dive today and what type of profile is she looking to dive in the future? If you can look over the edge of that box you live in, maybe you might want to run some profiles in a planner or even better yet - go dive some profiles like she does.

Depth/BT/O2 Deco Gas RT OTU CNS%
170/30/21 80 85 93 36
plus 5 BT 80 106 111 43
plus 10 BT 80 125 129 50

170/30/21 100 90 89 46
plus 5 BT 100 113 107 58
plus 10 BT 100 134 125 66

That's multi deco 45/75 but I'm sure that is far too conservative for you DIR/GUE macho men. The facts are that in the 130-170' depth, single deco gas and 30 minute bottom times, 100 provides zero benefit, 80 is a better choice whether the dive goes as planned or you over stay your welcome.

There are a few cave divers on this board that I really value their knowledge, insight and open mindness. These few provide great advice to all types of divers - the rest of ya, you all give a terrible impression of that aspect of this hobby.

I really try and keep an open mind when it comes to DIR/GUE, if you want to dive that way, good for you. Maybe you ought to tailor any advice you give to the way others actually dive - oh wait, you'd actually have to take the lid off that box you live in..............preferring to dive daily then drink one flavor of kool aide .

Chuck, I know where you are coming from. There are a few wannabe DIR internet divers on here who can't think for themselves, but from what I've seen elgoog isn't one of them. At least not too much :). GI, while obviously an accomplished diver, was just a complete clown on the internet and he and his acolytes, both then and now, did a great disservice to the "brand". The diving I do doesn't really fit into the box but I have admittedly stolen some ideas from them, or perhaps more accurately, from the Hogarthian way of doing things. One size seldom if ever fits everyone.

Ken

Also, for 30min at 130-170', us macho men, women and children wouldn't use 100% either - 50% is much better in reducing your min gas and fulfilling deco requirements.

Other than shifting min gas requirements, what's wrong with using 100% on sub 150' dives? I can clear deco faster, and can just carry a 40 versus an 80 of 50%.

Other than shifting min gas requirements, what's wrong with using 100% on sub 150' dives? I can clear deco faster, and can just carry a 40 versus an 80 of 50%.
Nothing, but min gas becomes a limiting factor very fast.

150' to 20' is a long way, especially when you've got mandatory stops between the bottom and your oxygen bottle.

50% is a much better option for those dives.

I have had the luck to be invited on some trips that are pretty remote, some not that remote.

Gas availability has often been the issue, a finite amount of available O2, or Helium, in some cases its rationed. So dives where done on compromise mixes. Decompressing on 80 has little effect on the decompression time, but extends the available O2, and drops the O2 dose. Top pressure becomes a real problem when you have limited J's of gas, using 50% makes a huge difference.

Notwithstanding training, there is no difference between 50% and 100%. Margins are smaller, but concept is totally the same.

And the depth at which it can kill you. And equipment requirements.

And the depth at which it can kill you. An equipment requirements.

What are the different equipment requirements?

What are the different equipment requirements?
Regulators and tanks need to be specially cleaned and orings etc need to be oxygen compatible for very high O2 mixes. Really, all tanks should be O2 clean in case the shops are doing partial pressure blending (Pure O2 into the tank, then diluted with air... as opposed to premixing and banking nitrox).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom