Shore diving question...booties?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Agree on the hard soled booties. Socks don't "cut it" (oops, yes they do!).

For tropical diving I like a low cut booties as they're easier to quickly put on and off. Unfortunately low booties often come with thin soles. To get thick soles you often end up with high booties.

The Akona and Tusa ones mentioned earlier seem like a good choice. When I worked in Bonaire I used these Tusa ones:

tusa_ds_2700_bootie_20171014154944.jpg

Unfortunately Tusa seemed to have changed the design, and the new one have a way less sturdy sole. After a bit of research my current and favorite one is the Aqualung Caribbean.

61q5MkdWTtL._SX425_.jpg

Amazon.com: Deep See by Aqua Lung 3mm Caribbean Boot (5): Sports & Outdoors

A follow up on the bootie thingy.....
When we were in Bonaire last summer (2018)
The Buddy Dive store in town had an excellent selection and they were significantly less expensive that they would have been here in North Carolina.

Seasoft Sunrays are excellent boots for Bonaire. I would recommend them to anyone wanting to dive the island who is looking for a low cut boot. I've also worn SEAC 6mm boots several times. The only other boots I would wear are Converse All Stars. Chucks are awesome for shore diving Bonaire.

I wear these (Columbia super vent III water shoe) in Bonaire and highly recommend them. Water in the shoe drains out thru the vents in the sole. They're light and dry fast. They're slightly positive so they dont do well with neutral fins like the Deep 6 eddy fin.
BLARD.jpg

Hi this is Bruce with SEASOFT. I am responding to this post because I get so many emails about our boots and whether they are the best boots for Bonaire, the Big Island and other places where lava or footing or stability is suspect.

I TOTALLY agree with an earlier post where he described what a difference a good hard soled bootie made IN the water. It is terrifying to be in knee-deep water and feel like you are about to fall onto a jagged, lava bottom. Having footwear that gives you stability and allows you to use your natural balance to maintain an upright position is comforting when diving places like Bonaire.

One of the overlooked aspects of hard soled booties is cramping. When you dive with soft soled booties you are called upon to start and finish every kick with the small muscles in your foot, usually your arches. These muscles are soon overtaxed and rebel with a cramp. Hard soled booties allow you to BYPASS these little muscles and go right to the bigger muscles of the legs eliminating cramps and making you faster and more efficient.

So stability is only one part of the story, eliminating cramps and gaining a little speed are certainly benefits of changing out of those old school shoes.

Dive safe.

Bruce

I love my dive boots but my foot does slide around in the shoe, especially after diving. I saw someone on my last trip to Bonaire with kayak boots that have a strap to stabilize the foot within the shoe. I think any lace up water shoe would serve the same purpose. I think that will be my next shoe.

Attachments

• 0480D8A4-3411-4DBC-88F2-B42E870B1967.jpeg
    0480D8A4-3411-4DBC-88F2-B42E870B1967.jpeg
    20.9 KB · Views: 153
  • D6C61490-8122-4C83-A3F8-2867624C2906.jpeg
    D6C61490-8122-4C83-A3F8-2867624C2906.jpeg
    65.9 KB · Views: 100
I think any lace up water shoe would serve the same purpose. I think that will be my next shoe.

Hmm... will your fin be pressing the strap/laces into your foot? Laces might be OK if there's enough padding in the tongue, but the one with the strap does not look very inviting to me.

Hmm... will your fin be pressing the strap/laces into your foot? Laces might be OK if there's enough padding in the tongue, but the one with the strap does not look very inviting to me.
Good point and I don’t have an answer. The boot on the left is the pair she was wearing and recommended. I know others have recommended lace up Converse sneakers and the Columbia’s above with bungee (@plj). With the open heel of the Columbia’s I wondered about the fit and feel of the fin strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom