No More Plastic Grocery Bags

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

horn34

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
per a TA thread, Chedraui and Soriana are eliminating plastic take out bags in favor of 9p cloth bags or free cardboard boxes. They did this in Austin a few years ago, so I'm used to it, but it may be an adjustment for others.

I just bought my first two cloth, reusable bags from Soriana, I'd heard that today was the last day for plastic bags but I suspect they will use up whatever stock they have on hand. They banned plastic, non-resuable bags in California a few years ago and at this point I usually remember to bring my bags with me to the grocery store.

Now if only we could eliminate all the products in plastic packaging that go into those bags. Realistically, the plastic grocery bags represent a microscopic fraction of the plastic that ends up everywhere. What ever happened to the old days when you bought 8 bottles of soda and returned them empty to get your bottle deposit back? I personally find the amount of disposable single-use plastic packaging that is absolutely everywhere sickening. Every piece of plastic that has ever been produced is somewhere if it hasn't been burned. The world is absolutely drowning in plastic and trash. Unmanned submersibles go to the unexplored depths of the ocean and what do they find along side newly discovered sea creatures? Plastic and glass bottles, bags, beer cans and all sorts of trash laying around.

I have discovered that a lot of things, like milk, half & half, cheese, eggs, and produce, as well as some meats (especially chicken and pork) are a lot cheaper at Aldi’s (and the quality of the produce is better than Walmarts, though I still won’t buy beef at Aldi’s). Aldi’s doesn’t provide any bags for free and even takes a deposit of a quarter to use a cart. So I’ve gotten into the habit of carrying the heavy duty reusable plastic bags in my car, as well as a stock of quarters in my ashtray, for trips to Aldi’s. Once you get used to it, you don’t even think about it.

I don't even start or it would be a big and long rant...
We need to change the mind of the people.
People MUST learn to use less, to recycle, to change their habit.
There is not time anymore for ignorance. Ignorance is not allowed anymore nowadays.

Next step in Cozumel is to reduce the amount of plastic water bottles we all use on dive boats. I met a group last year and just about all of them brought a reusable bottle to refill. The year before that I dove with Blue Project who provides reusable water bottles to everyone each day.

I wonder if they let you carry your own shopping bags at the store? I've always had to check my bags on arrival. I am all for furnishing your own bags; I have been at home for years.

Now if only we could eliminate all the products in plastic packaging that go into those bags.
I agree, but 90% of plastic waste in the oceans comes from 10 rivers in Asia & Africa.

90% of plastic polluting our oceans comes from just 10 rivers

I recently left a job managing a big box sporting goods store. The need to sell more and more every year leads to just more crap being sent over from China. Been to Little League baseball game lately? How did we ever survive without our collapsible wagons, chairs, canopies and battery operated fans? We keep inventing new stuff that we really don't need. I remember when we used to go the river tubing we would just use our old worn out tennis shoes, now we have boatloads of water shoes shipped over every year. I also agree about the packaging of the consumables we use has really gotten out of hand.

I am trying to be more responsible now, wish I would have been more conscious of this earlier in life.

I bought a bunch at Mega today, all in plastic bags, and I think Mega is part of the Soriana chain. I do support the end of the plastic bags and even refuse the bags when I can easily carry out the products. Just have not yet bought fabric bags. Sams club here gives no bags at all.

Dave Dillehay
Aldora Divers

I still won’t buy beef at Aldi’s). .

Maybe a little off-topic but Aldi's is one of the two places where I will buy ground beef. They sell some organic, hormone-free, resort-raised beef from pampered cows and I think it's first quality, at least the stuff we get in California is. I actually was served some jamiaca yesterday that came with a straw--that's the first time I can remember getting a straw that I didn't ask for in Mexico since some time last year. I just went to an OXXO and they gave me a plastic bag for my purchases but I guess I'll need to start bringing a couple of bag with me everywhere.

Back
Top Bottom