What am I supposed to react when a shark is heading towards me?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Of all of the feeding dives I've looked into the one in Fiji is the only one I'd be interested in going on. I think they hit the fine line on how to treat them just right.
I've only done one so far, off of a liveaboard in the Bahamas. We had to kneel. I was so embarrassed. I slinked off and went diving on the reef instead. Had a blast doing that. They're just not what I'm into, but this will be for our annual Invasion, so I'm going to have fun.

My take

1 - be ignorant enough about shark body language so when one does approach you face first back arched and fins down you don't register poor little reefy is trying his best to scare you and gives up after the second bump.

2 - be fascinated enough by a sailfish during a pass dive you forget sharks have teeth and push one out of your way...they really flip out when you push them around.

3 - Shark attacks seem to skip a generation...my father and nephew have both been bitten thus I am immune

4 - It's ok to cry when you're solo at night and something big hits you hard enough to spin you 360 degrees so you lose reg, torch, courage .... Not sure if seal or shark but turned into scarecrow from wizard of Oz...I live in Oz.

5 - Where I live - fat shark bad, skinny shark good. Interestingly I've found the three GWS I've seen while diving here did absolutely nothing but cruised along on their way. Skinny sharks have done the same except for flat sharks (port jacksons) who are just the happiest lil dudes and sometimes join you for a cruise

The diving center said they are reef sharks here.

I was snorkeling (pier at Morritt’s Tortuga Club in Grand Cayman) the first time a reef shark swam right at me. The only thought I had was to get my camera up and take pictures. It veered off before getting too close, although it seemed pretty close to me.

Did a shark dive in St. Maarten years ago and have seen quite a few since, most recently in Grand Bahama where they were everywhere. They were all reef sharks. On the actual shark dive, one of the DM’s had food and could guide the shark right in front of our masks as we laid on the ocean floor - other sharks came in from different directions, often behind us just above our heads! Think I’ve been trained to expect that they have no interest in us and are ‘always’ going to veer off, even though I still feel a bit of a rush.

I also take my camera on dives so that would be my first peace offering to a shark that comes a little closer!

OrcaDirtworld.jpg

2 - be fascinated enough by a sailfish during a pass dive you forget sharks have teeth and push one out of your way...they really flip out when you push them around.

Strange, this is not what I have ever experienced. In fact, they seem to enjoy it.

Of course, there's also the time at Belize where 3 sharks were swimming around right with us. They got quite close from the side but mostly seemed to like sneaking up from behind.

I was in Belize in Oct and we saw black tipped sharks on most dives. They would find us most dives clearly looking for a lionfish hand out. Lionfish were a rare sight so its clear there is active hunting and the sharks are enjoying the snack.

Some would cruise by once or twice and keep going. Others would continually circle you and this unnerved a few people. One even brushed my fin on a dive. I wont forget that dive :wink:

Strange, this is not what I have ever experienced. In fact, they seem to enjoy it.

Maybe it's a shark by shark thing like some humans like being touched others get freaked by it. Perhaps environment too. Perhaps he too was surprised at the presence of a billfish beside him and wasn't expecting a shove in the ribs??

Dunno that I'd push a tiger shark around here. I'm not fond of them.

Maybe it's a shark by shark thing like some humans like being touched others get freaked by it. Perhaps environment too. Perhaps he too was surprised at the presence of a billfish beside him and wasn't expecting a shove in the ribs??

Dunno that I'd push a tiger shark around here. I'm not fond of them.

Well I have probably put my hand on 30 different ones, all the same. Sometimes how you react to a shark can make all the difference, like a dog or cat, they can sense if you're scared or not, this makes them scared. Fast movements, pushing them away too hard or erratically, this can all make them react faster than they normally would.

One time I had a bull charge me while spearfishing, I pointed my gun at it from about 15 feet away and it swam off and never returned. Once they realize you are a threat they take off.

When they get in a feeding frenzy they will circle and bump you more, and the bigger they are, the braver they are. But at no time are they coming at you for a bite. Intimidation maybe, if you have some bait to drop.

Tigers seem to like contact the most, to me.

Anyways, just my 2 cents. Others could have a different experience.

Thank you for your sage advice, I will take it onboard. Ironically a few posts back you asserted "You will never get close enough to touch sharks unless you do baited dives"......what??

I've never done a baited dive in my life and never will. Don't mistake humour as ignorance, I've worked on coastal ecology projects where our cook of all people had a weird bond with a tawny nurse he named britney ... Tonic immobility is a wonderful thing.

I don't spearfish so I'm not luring sharks to me.....think I'm just going to keep on doing what I've been doing. It's not rare at all for me to not see sharks of some species most dives but I will keep your tips in mind, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom