Recommended Tec instruction or dive shop

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Grumble1968

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello all

I’m considering Tec 40-50 and wondered if anyone could recommend a location / instructor? I’ll be wanting to improve my sidemount skills at the same time. Not currently Drysuit qualified but I could do that in the Uk, although I would rather be competent at that prior to embarking on the tec training.

Somewhere easy enough to get to from the Uk would be good, but nowhere is out of bounds. Currently I’m thinking Malta, Florida, Caribbean, Egypt? I have a trip booked to Mexico in December so might be best if I don’t go there for this.

Many thanks.

Grant

What are your ultimate goals? Wrecks, Cave, Deep?

What are your ultimate goals? Wrecks, Cave, Deep?
Probably not cave, although I certainly wouldn't rule it out. The main purpose is to feel like my diving is planned, thought about and executed well, rather than 'follow the divemaster and look at what he points out'. I like to tinker, so the equipment side is attractive, and I love to learn.

Chepstow. This bloke TDI basic and advanced nitrox, decompression procedures, entry level and advanced trimix courses with instructor Mark Powell

Do get drysuit training first though, do a few dives and then do ITT.

If you really want to do sidemount then the RAID people at St Andrews lake in Halling may be able to do something locally. smbdiving@gmail.com

Many thanks. That is the Mark Powell of 'Deco for Divers'????? Jeepers. He knows his stuff...

Didn't realise St Andrew's was open for diving yet. I'll look it up.

Usually recommend 20+ recreational drysuit dives before starting tech.

If you're going down the Padi route you could do a their discover tec as a try before you buy.

Yes apparently St Andrews is open. Heard some reasonable reports and keep meaning to give it a go.

Thanks Graeme

Yes I read that, and would want that anyway. The advantage I suppose is that doing the drysuit course will enable me to log up those dives without going abroad!

I'm going in without trying it, as the SM has given me the taste for it, and I just want to be a better diver, so...

The main purpose is to feel like my diving is planned, thought about and executed well, rather than 'follow the divemaster and look at what he points out'. I like to tinker, so the equipment side is attractive, and I love to learn.
If this is your goal right now, you don't need tech training (as in, don't need to learn cave, wreck, deco, etc) - any good ITT/Fundies/Essentials type course will do you good.

If this is your goal right now, you don't need tech training (as in, don't need to learn cave, wreck, deco, etc) - any good ITT/Fundies/Essentials type course will do you good.
I’ve decided on tech. I’ve currently got the time and finance allows, so that’s the way I’m going.

Thanks for the reply.

Look up Michael Thomas who teaches SM for TDI. He often runs courses at Wraysbury, so not far from you. Very nice chap and a very highly regarded SM and cave instructor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom