frog kicking with fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes. There is a physiological basis for the strain experienced from flutter kicking with flat fins. Something I solved by looking at the natural kick strength of our leg first. Personally, I and most of us move more efficiently flutter kicking. Frog kicking may have taken hold in training through cave diving, but it is as much a fix, compensation for fins that work against your natural kick strength.

I was referring to the title of the thread. Had the thread title said "flutter" rather than "frog," I'd never have read it.

I frog kick near the bottom and when whenever I'm inside something without fail. I know I'm doing it right when I can look behind me when I'm six inches off a silty bottom and there's no cloud behind me. That means that visibility is preserved for me, and for others. Efficiency is very much a secondary concern, not that I've ever seen evidence to demonstrate that one kick is more or less efficient than another.

I'd be fascinated by actual peer-reviewed papers about comparative kick efficiency, and just as fascinated by papers about different fins.

The OPS with Crown Blade was amazing for Frog Kicking. You could twist the blade, so you did not have to twist your legs. Stopped development 19 years ago now.

Attachments

• l-26.jpg
    l-26.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 189
Honestly, I don't see anything remotely resembling a proper frog kick in that video - It's mostly pretty rapid flutter kicking. BTW, it appears his fins drop when he stops kicking so I don't see his fins lifting his legs at all?

+1 and I missed the helicopter turns too unless his turn in the wreck with his feet against the wall around 2:56 counts.

The diver look either like a nervous free diver with a scuba equipment or an image coming from the vintage Cousteau stuff. He might not last long with his tank...

The diver look either like a nervous free diver with a scuba equipment or an image coming from the vintage Cousteau stuff. He might not last long with his tank...
I had the same “vintage Cousteau” thought - this definitely did not look like a relaxed diver. He looked almost frantic in his motions.

Wow, I would ask Blair Mott to resond..but he is to busy training Police, FBI, etc. at the Kirby Morgan Dive Center. KMPDC | Kirby Morgan Professional Dive Center I get Frantic reading these post, so I am going to sign off with Scubaboard once again. going to take a nap and when I wake up I will have forgotten my pass word. . Thank You..

Attachments

• DSC_0699.jpg
    DSC_0699.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 180
There are few products in the diving industry that can elicit the variety of emotions that FFs can. One one level they are just another pair of fins, but because of their unusual appearance and mixed reputations people who have never handled a pair approach the subject with a bias. I don't know how to frogkick, and I'm too old to learn, but I can flutter with the best of them in my FFs,
leaving the sand behind unchurned.

There are few products in the diving industry that can elicit the variety of emotions that FFs can. One one level they are just another pair of fins, but because of their unusual appearance and mixed reputations people who have never handled a pair approach the subject with a bias. I don't know how to frogkick, and I'm too old to learn, but I can flutter with the best of them in my FFs,
leaving the sand behind unchurned.
I’ve never seen anyone flutter kicking near the bottom and not kicking up sand as the flutter kick sends water down to the bottom unless it is a really low amplitude kick? I’m curious as to how you do this?

For me, frog kicking when near the bottom removes the possibility of kicking up sand even if I’m kicking strongly!

Also - I have no issue with Force Fins and have never tried them (have not seen anyone diving a pair I could test out and they are way too expensive to just buy to try). The issue I had was the paper had no relevance to frog kicking, with Force Fins nor did the video show frog kicking with Force Fins.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom