Being a Cyclist and Scuba Diver problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You know how your balance and control are better on the bike when your upper body is relaxed?

Diving works best when your entire body is as quiet as your upper body on the bike. Fin, and move around, slowly. As others have said, make sure the basics of buoyancy and trim are solid, too. You can use a lot of energy trying to compensate.

Tha
Years ago I raced for Pan-Am airlines and Trek, and then Thule and Cannondale. I have a cycling and sports medicine background. I can understand the leg issue but the breathing and air consumption issue is not cycling related....in fact your cycling should make it so that you are using air more efficiently. What you describe is you suffering from not being relaxed in the water.

Spend more time swimming and playing in a pool, lake, or ocean. Do apnea work in a pool to build comfort and confidence. And spend more time blowing bubbles.

You state that you have 50-60 dives...more important is how many hours do you have underwater blowing bubbles? If you do 2 x 20min dives in a day, that is relevant experience but it is not the same as 2 x 40 minute dives in a day. It is relevant to how much time do you have in the water managing your buoyancy, your trim, and how you locomote. Number of dives is not really a good indication of experience, especially with new divers...one can dive 100 times or one can do 1 dive 100 times...there is a difference regarding experience gained.

I can recommend that you should stop worrying about how cycling is affecting your diving, in fact stop worrying about everything. Just dive and be in the moment. Don't take pictures or video, don;t carry extra gear, just be underwater and hang with the intent of moving your body as little as possible. Focus on relaxing and being comfortable.

I was working with a student last thursday night, before getting in the water she complained that her mask keeps leaking and asked what she could do about. My first suggestion was to not make the strap so tight as it compresses the skirt of the mask causing it to leak more not less. When the session ended she complained her mask was still leaking, after spending an hour with her I told her that her mask will continue to leak because she is uncomfortable in the water and generally tense. I told her that when she is able to relax the muscles in her face will relax allowing her mask to seal. When dry fitting her mask without the strap it seals fine, so the only thing I could think of was that she is contorting her face due to muscle tension.

While some people take to SCUBA rather quickly, for others it just takes time. Surviving underwater is not natural for humans, so even though we have a cylinder filled with air on back there is still some cognitive dissonance whether we are conscious of it our not...it takes time, less for some and more for others, for our brains to accept that we will be ok for the duration we plan to be below the surface, and allow our bodies to relax. As your skills and confidence improve your brain will more readily acclimate and the easier it will be for you to relax. When this happens your breathing will be more efficient and your air consumption will reduce.

Find a club or a partner to do apnea work with (doing it alone is dangerous), spend more time in the water, and perhaps take a peak buoyancy class. First thing to work on along the way is to get your weighting correct....as others have mentioned, many instructors overweight their students and sometimes it is a long time after receiving one's initial certification card that the lightbulb comes on and one realizes that they are toting around too much lead.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

Ok thanks, probably seeing a ship underwater when I drive ships for living and all I can think about is me rbeing on the bridge crashing and sinking it, probably doesn’t help with my comfort underwater either, I can definitely tell the difference in kicking and buoyancy underwater between the guys with 1000s of hours underwater and new guys like myself, I’m just trying to improve myself, so I’ll think about dropping the money for the buoyancy class.

I am a Mountain biker also, actually helps my breathing in the long run....Just have to zen and frog kick as much as i can.

"Being a cyclist and a scuba diver...."

I can relate, this pic was taken on Cozumel back around '05 or so, where I was both a dive instructor, and (even more enthusiastically), a bike racer (I'm in the middle, wearing the yellow "Team ONCE" headband.). This is me and some of my local race buddies, riding with a group of American cyclists that I believe still make semi-annual trips down.
(BTW, I concur with the above advice about developing a frog kick. I went that route in the cenotes, and it carried over into open water.)
Peloton.jpg

Attachments

• Peloton.jpg
    Peloton.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 38
"Being a cyclist and a scuba diver...."

I can relate, this pic was taken on Cozumel back around '05 or so, where I was both a dive instructor, and (even more enthusiastically), a bike racer (I'm in the middle, wearing the yellow "Team ONCE" headband.). This is me and some of my local race buddies, riding with a group of American cyclists that I believe still make semi-annual trips down.
(BTW, I concur with the above advice about developing a frog kick. I went that route in the cenotes, and it carried over into open water.)
View attachment 519299

You kinda look like Jan Ullrich in that photo.

-Z

Ex Pro XC racer here, no problems in the water. You just need experience and to learn to relax and not be in a hurry. My SAC is .45 to .6 depending on the dive conditions.

I usually reserve only diving photos for the board, but since we've gotten started:
Racing.jpg

I feel fitness is critical to being a good diver, Mountain Biking is my main "crack" along with diving. I feel it helps my SAC (.49 ish) and improves focus considerably....

Ok, so at least I know I'm not alone, working on the frog kick, use less weights/buoyancy, just dive more, and take more awesome cycling and diving pictures seams like the advice I'm getting from most everyone thanks.

I mountainbike 5-6 times a week, ~12-15 mile rides and am consistently with the top 10 fastest rides of the day.
I don’t think cycling has anything to do with the “problems” you’re describing, in fact, had you omit the part about cycling in your post, everything you’ve said still would make sense and it is the typical problems new divers, with improper gear and sub-optimal technique experiences. Consider this, does anything else you do in your daily routine, done like as if you’re on your bike? Do you walk to get the mail like a locomotive? As you sit on your chair reading/typing this, are you breathing heavy as if you’re on your bike? I know a bunch of avid cyclist which are also experienced divers, the answer to all of us is no.

Using up more air than the rest is a subject discussed very often, probably because every new diver experiences it and new divers are joining the sport all the time, so it’s constantly brought up, and it is normal, don’t overthink it, we can discuss all kinds of technique and in the end it’s simply more time in the water, it will improve with more diving.
Having your own gear will help things a lot too, you’ve realized that and understands why.
About the frog kicking, one less discussed aspect of it that helps you have a more relaxed diving with a slower pace and thus, energy saving, it’s that it makes it easier, more natural, to do a pause, because it’s symmetrical, after you kick and stop moving your feet, they’re both in the same position, we call it the gliding phase, after you kick, just keep the feet close together, with the blades parallel to the ground and slowly bring them up (bending knees), glide for as long as you can, my gliding phase will last no less than twice the time of the kicking phase.

Your(everyone’s) air consumption will improve the more diving you do, even if one maintains poor buoyancy/trim/technique through ones diving career, whatever their air consumption is early on, will improve if they keep diving regularly, but huge improvement will be very difficult without proper buoyancy and trim, and these two must come together. It is possible to have perfect neautral buoyancy and poor trim, but only if you’re stationary, otherwise, any propulsion you generate will move you either up or down in the water colum.
Poor buoyancy though, is the worst, when that is off, everything else is affected. Unfortunately the majority of divers can’t really stop kicking, they’d sink, adding air to their BCD would be correct action, but they will eventually kick again to get moving and that will make them rise, adjusting the trim then, would be the correct action, but instead they think the problem is too much air in the BCD, so they let a little out, now they don’t rise anymore, and they’re not sinking either, as long as they keep moving, and they all do, to various degrees of intensity. Long time, experienced divers do this more subtly, but it’s there, think experienced recreational instructors for exemple, looks like they have a hold of it, but go behind one and hold their feet, I guarantee you’d see them eventually sink.

Last thought on the long babbling, just keep in mind as you’re perfecting the buoyancy/trim/propulsion, your lungs obviously plays a part in this also, it’s where you fine tune the buoyancy, what needs to be kept in mind is that the breathing rate changes throughout the dive, because of various reasons, so the buoyancy in the BCD needs to be adjusted for that, then adjusted back to when breathing changes again, maintain a horizontal trim AT ALL TIMES, as that eliminates buoyancy changes due to propulsion, thus giving you wrong feedback about your buoyancy, every now and then, stop moving at all, this will give you great feedback about your buoyancy.

PS: Maybe you’re just a roadie, in which case you’re helpless :poke:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom