New BCD. Do I have to change the low pressure hose?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hopefully someone can answer my question my first stage regulator doesn’t have a bcd inflator hose low pressure side on it are the inflator hoses a standard size thread that fit into the first stage regulator or does it depend on the make of the first stage regulator. I measured my other set up and the inflator hose on it is 33 inches so I thought I would order the same size for this one as well. I do also require a low pressure plug for one outlet on my first stage that needs to be closed off can someone tell me what side plug I require as well Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer me.

The hose to first stage fittings are pretty standard. Just about any BC inflator hose will fit the LP ports on your 1st stage. More important is whether your BC uses the standard quick disconnect fitting or one of a couple of less standard ones that are out there....need to know what BC you use to advise on that, but 99.9% chance you will need a standard inflator hose with the common standard quick disconnect fitting.

The length of the hose is dependent on a combination of the length of the corrugated hose it attaches to and how you position your cylinder on your BC (high vs low). If 33 inches was a good length for your setup then keep with that length. If 33 inches created a loop of hose above your shoulder then get a slightly short hose, and if 33 inches was not long enough to reach the quick detachable fitting on the corrugated hose then, obviously, you would need a slightly longer hose.

With the exception of a few regulators, such as Mares which uses a 1/2 inch port for their primary 2nd stage port on some of their 1st stages, 99.99% of 1st stage LP ports are 3/8 inch. Most any dive shop will have port plugs available for sale or they may just give one to you. If you don't have dive shop local to you here is a link where you can purchase one/some: Regulator Port Plugs. One can also purchase an inflator hose from that site as well.

-Z

The hose to first stage fittings are pretty standard. Just about any BC inflator hose will fit the LP ports on your 1st stage. More important is whether your BC uses the standard quick disconnect fitting or one of a couple of less standard ones that are out there....need to know what BC you use to advise on that, but 99.9% chance you will need a standard inflator hose with the common standard quick disconnect fitting.

The length of the hose is dependent on a combination of the length of the corrugated hose it attaches to and how you position your cylinder on your BC (high vs low). If 33 inches was a good length for your setup then keep with that length. If 33 inches created a loop of hose above your shoulder then get a slightly short hose, and if 33 inches was not long enough to reach the quick detachable fitting on the corrugated hose then, obviously, you would need a slightly longer hose.

With the exception of a few regulators, such as Mares which uses a 1/2 inch port for their primary 2nd stage port on some of their 1st stages, 99.99% of 1st stage LP ports are 3/8 inch. Most any dive shop will have port plugs available for sale or they may just give one to you. If you don't have dive shop local to you here is a link where you can purchase one/some: Regulator Port Plugs. One can also purchase an inflator hose from that site as well.

-Z
Thank you so much for all this information and all advice its very much appreciated now I can order the proper size plug for my first stage and the inflator hose as well It does have a standard quick disconnect fitting on it. Thanks again it’s great to have so many individuals willing to help out us new divers.

Tighten the hose down by hand and then tighten very slightly snugger with a wrench.
With just a little bit of experience, it's usually possible to feel when the o-ring is fully seated and the metal contacts. And usually you'll get there by just tightening it down by hand. When the metal contacts, I tighten just enough that I can't unscrew the hose by hand and are reasonably certain that it won't unscrew by itself.

It's still a good idea to check the hoses - and other fittings- regularly. Just recently, I got a hiss from my BCD inflator after I'd turned on my gas. The nipple on the inflator head had somehow managed to unscrew itself just enough to cause a minor leak. Fortunately there was a wrench available on the boat, so it was a two minute job to fix it.

HAVE TO change it? Probably not.
On the other hand, there's a small o-ring in the quick disconnect fitting. Like all o-rings it has a limited life. Changing it requires some finicky picking with a brass pick, so there's some value in simply changing the entire hose. Especially since all rubber parts age and if the original is more than five years old, it might just be worth replacing and keeping the old one as a spare. If that allows you to use a more comfortable length hose, all the better.
If the old one is in good shape, the o-ring doesn't leak, and you've got better places to spend the money, by all means keep the old one.

HAVE TO change it? Probably not.
On the other hand, there's a small o-ring in the quick disconnect fitting. Like all o-rings it has a limited life. Changing it requires some finicky picking with a brass pick, so there's some value in simply changing the entire hose. Especially since all rubber parts age and if the original is more than five years old, it might just be worth replacing and keeping the old one as a spare. If that allows you to use a more comfortable length hose, all the better.
If the old one is in good shape, the o-ring doesn't leak, and you've got better places to spend the money, by all means keep the old one.
There is a special tool to change that o-ring that is a special size o-ring by the way. The ring size is 610 L.P. Inflator Hose Bull clip O-rings-610
you can see the video in youtube you can find the tool at Bull clip LP Hose O-ring installation tool - Scubagaskets

I found out about the handy tool after I'd picked up the brass picks. Which have so many other uses. And, my vintage hose fitting may take a "special" o-ring but that's a conventional size that I was easily able to obtain. Special, like a fine thread metric screw may be special--but still standard.

There is a special tool to change that o-ring that is a special size o-ring by the way. The ring size is 610 L.P. Inflator Hose Bull clip O-rings-610
you can see the video in youtube you can find the tool at Bull clip LP Hose O-ring installation tool - Scubagaskets

There is a discussion thread where I posted how to make a suitable tool from a bic pen and a nail. It works great. Check out post #15 of the following thread:
Replacing power inflator hose o-ring

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom