PADI's fee to dive centers to issue specialty certs such as Deep Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Am I correct in assuming that the wrecks within recreational limits cannot be penetrated?
Some can be penetrated, others are essentials just a pile of lumber. But a deep specialty doesn’t help you with wreck penetration. I’m not sure about that particular op’s policy with respect to penetration, but other boats in the area usually include in their briefing a line like “you need to have proper certification if you want to go inside”, but I have never seen it enforced.

Some can be penetrated, others are essentials just a pile of lumber. But a deep specialty doesn’t help you with wreck penetration. I’m not sure about that particular op’s policy with respect to penetration, but other boats in the area usually include in their briefing a line like “you need to have proper certification if you want to go inside”, but I have never seen it enforced.
I figured as much. I’m not keen on the recreational agencies stances on overheads, but fortunately scuba gear is quite reliable

Here is an example of a dive op listing the required cert for each wreck. And for s good number of them, it’s DEEP.
Scuba Dive Charters – Four Fathoms Diving – Port Sanilac, MI

It’s their business...whatever floats their boat. I can’t say that I’ve noticed that on east coast charters.

Edit:

Shop- “Your card (AOW) that certifies you to dive to 130’ isn’t good enough. We want you to get a certification to be a deep diver.”

Diver- “What depth can I dive to with a deep diver cert?”

Shop- “130’...”:popcorn:

It’s their business...whatever floats their boat. I can’t say that I’ve noticed that on east coast charters.

Edit:

Shop- “Your card (AOW) that certifies you to dive to 130’ isn’t good enough. We want you to get a certification to be a deep diver.”

Diver- “What depth can I dive to with a deep diver cert?”

Shop- “130’...”:popcorn:
FYI: PADI considers AOW to be trained to 100 ft, not 130.

FYI: PADI considers AOW to be trained to 100 ft, not 130.

In a situation like that...would they accept a card from someone that certified through a different agency advanced course to a greater depth... or do they stick to requiring a "deep" card?

I think NAUI AOW says you're trained to 130ft.

Actually OW certifies one to dive within recreational (NDL) limits. Whether qualified to make a 130' dive is another question. In the case of this dive shop, they are asking for additional certification to make deeper dives. What is interesting is that they are not looking at the divers qualifications or ability to do the dive. It's the shops insurance carrier reducing its exposure.

I have a Deep cert, so I would be OK to make the deep wreck dive with that shop. Now normally I wouldn't do a 130' dive cold, assuming no emergency, even though I have the card. Since I dive air, I like to do a half dozen dives working to that depth to check my gear and my acclimatization to depth if I've been my usual 60 to 70' max depth dives here off the coast. Nothing more of a pita than having something go wrong when you are deep and have no idea how narked you really are.

Bob

"Some can be penetrated, others are essentials just a pile of lumber."
That's the difference between diving a wreck, and diving a pile of wreckage.
That's why PADI is offering a course in "Diving Vocabulary" next year. Eight hours in classroom, over a hundred pages of reading, and a mandatory dive to be passed before they'll even sell you the new card. (G)

That would be interesting to observe, diving vocabulary used while underwater. Now don't get me wrong, I have used some vocabulary underwater, and been understood, but I doubt if those words are covered in their class.

Bob

Back
Top Bottom