Wearing mask on the back of your head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

One time I had a person tell me that my mask was gonna fall off, or that I might be panicked, when we were floating at the surface OF A CALM LAKE. I literally am not kidding. I told them how ridiculous they sounded, and they realized how stupid they sounded, and that was the end of that discussion lol

I take it you haven't sat through the video's RoSPA or the Lifeguard groups use - identify the drowning person. Truely frightening when you see how difficult it often is to spot the person in trouble.

We had a fatality Easter Weekend at a very busy inland site. Calm lake, Sunny day. 1 drowning.
I spotted the loan diver on the surface, and ran to raise the alarm and get the rescue boat launched. Just as I got to the shop the rescue team where charging out of the door. To be honest I didn't think there would be a real problem, but the site rules are specific. (I thing out of 100 or more at the site only 5 or 6 reacted to raise the alarm).
Very sobering for our students.

One advantage of doing a lot of my diving with a club, is that I spend a reasonable amount of time teaching, or diving with inexperienced divers. So I do try to be aware that my actions on occasion are copied by those with less knowledge.

Yup I get that, I'm the same. maybe it helps that I have a dedicated rig for teaching basic courses, so I strap that on and immediately change my mindset to "role model"

I've made numerous faux pars in diving - all can directly be attributed to me not doing something I was trained to do and that I teach. All very minor for the most part. But I like to use my examples as a learning exercise for students. I want them to understand the even instructors are fallible and not "diving gods" that some like to portray.

Learn from my mistakes and don't make them yourself

On the amusing - but a demonstration of complacency.

I can equal that at least

the other week whist helping to teach Instructor candidates we were walking to the pool in our kit, I was answering their questions as we walked. When we got to the pool we were getting warm (still in out wetsuits form the OW dive). I've got my BCD & weight belt on, fins and mask in hand so I jumped in.

Unfortunately none of my straps attached, so there I floated like a muppet, hanging by my armpits from my BCD much to the students amusement as well as the guests around the pool.

Murphy's' 2nd law states: The size of the cockup is directly proportional to the number of people witnessing the event

Murphy's' 2nd law states: The size of the cockup is directly proportional to the number of people witnessing the event

I think an addendum to that second law is related to how high on the pedestal you where placed (either by yourself, or your witnesses). :)

You'd be making the OK sign if you're panicked?

Meaning, if I was panicked I’d wave, and if I was then later ok I would let them know I’m ok with the O sign

But if I have no panic and no issues, and im just wearing a mask on my head, it’s silly for people to think that I’m panicked

I take it you haven't sat through the video's RoSPA or the Lifeguard groups use - identify the drowning person. Truely frightening when you see how difficult it often is to spot the person in trouble.

We had a fatality Easter Weekend at a very busy inland site. Calm lake, Sunny day. 1 drowning.
I spotted the loan diver on the surface, and ran to raise the alarm and get the rescue boat launched. Just as I got to the shop the rescue team where charging out of the door. To be honest I didn't think there would be a real problem, but the site rules are specific. (I thing out of 100 or more at the site only 5 or 6 reacted to raise the alarm).
Very sobering for our students.

You have a good point, but I still think that waving your arms to show panic is a much more obvious and easily spotted sign, then somebody simply putting their mask on their head. And if they are so scared and panicked that they are catatonic and not even thinking or moving, then I doubt they would have the ability to think to put the mask on their head in the first place anyway.

Ultimately, either way, I think people should be able to put their mask on their head and I think panicked divers should communicate that by waving and... well... showing that they are panicked.

Also, if someone doesn’t even know how to keep their BCD inflated on the surface, then what the eff man, why are they diving lol

I'm rather amazed at how many people there are who seem to be rather certain about what a panicked diver might or might not do.

Me, I just believe that I haven't a clue, but I've learned a few indicators. And that I may well be wrong if I draw a conclusion, but I'd rather err on the side of caution.

Me thinks the MOF "panic" discussion has occurred before somewhere.....

IIRC the verdict was that MOF on its own may be OK, but MOF while wearing a poodle jacket, split fins, and a single Suunto computer is a clear desperate cry for immediate intervention.

IIRC the verdict was that MOF on its own may be OK, but MOF while wearing a poodle jacket, split fins, and a single Suunto computer is a clear desperate cry for immediate intervention.
Good thing I've swapped my poodle jacket for a wing and my splits for a pair of Jets, then.Because I'd really hate it if you came and dragged me to shore while I was chilling at the surface, shooting crap with my buddy.

I still have my Suunto, though. Is that a problem for you?

Also, if someone doesn’t even know how to keep their BCD inflated on the surface, then what the eff man, why are they diving

You'd be surprised that when people are completely out of their comfort zone, or task loaded or panicked, the obvious and most rational action can go out of their head.

Case in point: the other week I had my gear on and then leant over to was my mask in choppy seas and not surprisingly got tossed overboard. Mask in hand no fins. When I bobbed to the surface I orally inflated - then put my reg in and breathed. WTF! I have no idea why I chose to oral inflate - its not a thing I do unless teaching skills. But there you go I did it for no rational reason

Then I got my fins and mask on pronto like, got hold of my scooter and descended toot sweet to get away from the sound of loud laughter on the boat.

Sometimes I amaze myself at my own muppetary

Back
Top Bottom