Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laval

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Here is my latest video "Diving in Andaman Sea" from our last trip to Thailand and Myanmar in April:

All underwater footage and some above water footage are filmed with Sony A7Rii.
I also used iPhone X for some above water footage, and Mavic Pro for drone footage.

I will greatly appreciate any constructive criticism.

Many thanks

Nice film! I really liked the aerials and the shots of life aboard the ship. It looks like a fantastic liveaboard with a fun and friendly crew. The wide shots of the schooling fish nicely showcased the amazing biodiversity of this area. The A7Rii brought out some lovely colours with good exposure. Did you use a filter or were you able to do this with manual white balance?

My only criticism is to be careful with the warp stabilizer. A couple of shots, notably the jellyfish, had a bit too much jello effect. You may want to tone down the sensitivity or try a different tool. I have been getting better results with the stabilizer in Resolve 16, which I have used for individual clips but not yet for an entire project.

Many thanks for your comments, EvilOtter. I will review the stabilization. However, I am not sure what else I could with the jelly fish, as this clip is the only one that I took while snorkelling, and the surge was quite strong, and my camera was moving significantly. I will take another look anyway, but what different tool did you mean? I am using FCPX.

Regarding WB, A7Rii does not allow to do WB under water. In most cases I used a red filter on the lens and blue ambient light filters on my video lights.

P.S. I took a look at your YouTube Channel. I like your videos, so I subscribed to it. I see that you are diving mainly in Roatan. I've hear that diving over there is amazing, so it is on my list to go over there one day.

Thanks again.

Thanks for the sub, Laval! I checked out your channel and subbed you right back. Great stuff!

We have a condo in Roatán which we visit 3-4 times per year. It's our second home and eventual retirement plan. The diving is fantastic with huge gardens of healthy soft corals, sponges and tunicates. You won't find massive schools of fish but the macro life is abundant. It's easily accessible from Toronto and Montreal with direct flights on Air Transat. You should definitely check it out.

Regarding stabilization, I have had some good success with the stabilizer features of Davinci Resolve. It has three modes of stabilization and allows fine-tuning of the effect. It also runs very quickly compared to the warp stabilizer that is found in Adobe's products. It's a free download so you might want to check it out.

Nice work getting a good WB with the camera and light filters. I have read about this technique and want to experiment with it. You made it work very well with a pleasing blue background and no red cast on the foreground.

Back
Top Bottom