The importance of direct flights.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Direct flight means non-stop.

I have flown direct non-stop from NYC to Hong Kong and NYC to Toykyo. 14 hr flights. I have no problems sleeping on a plane, so it was not a big problem. Sleep 8 hours, eat 2 meals, watch some movies, read a book, listen to music, snacks, take a nap. Not that bad IF you are the type that can sleep on a plane.

Non-stop flights from US to Asia can easily save you 1/2 day if not a full day in each direction.

Direct flight means non-stop.

No - 'direct flight' mean the flight number doesn't change and it may stop to pick up more passengers. Just google it.

No - 'direct flight' mean the flight number doesn't change and it may stop to pick up more passengers. Just google it.

This distinction has been brought up before. Like you, that's the definition I have long held in my mind, and it's the strict definition used by airlines and travel agents. If you want a non-stop, the word "direct" without the word "non-stop" will not necessarily guarantee the flight is non-stop. But as pointed out previously, it's becoming more common to use "direct" to mean non-stop, and nowadays most flights marketed as "direct" are also non-stop, so I have stopped bothering pointing out the difference to people.

OK, my mistake on the terminology. Where I wrote direct flight, I meant non-stop.
@-Moe

...Unless you are in Indonesia. We had an Indonesian non-stop. Non-stop, supposedly. We stopped in Makassar to pick up more passengers and had to deplane just to get back on. Into the same seat. for like 10-15 minutes. No change in flight number. It was..interesting...and funny.

Back
Top Bottom