Belize 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for me, I live in the west and it makes little to no sense to go through Toronto anyway.

Just out of curiosity, is there any advantage to being a member of the Commonwealth when you get to Customs in Belize?

Other than the time I brought in a handgun, which I had of course declared, I've never had my bags searched. Even then, they didn't really search my bags. I just told them where the gun was packed and gave them the keys to the bag and case. The supervisor, whom I had told I had the gun while waiting for my checked bag, and I watched as a very nervous Customs Official opened my bag, unlocked the case and pulled out the gun. I guess they don't get that many handguns coming in.

Not near as I can tell. I used to get pulled in for a search quite often but in later years, despite having enough luggage for 3 people, no problem. No idea what the criteria is. I have had to promise that I had no gifts for anyone.

I've done 2 trips to Belize in years past (Ambergris Caye and a Liveaboard out of Belize City) and we didn't look for Whale Sharks - wrong time of year I think. But I wanted to mention that we once did a LOB in Baja out of Cabo during the correct season - and the boat had about a 95% track record for success in finding whale sharks.

They crew searched and the guests searched. We even spent a day floating around the prime area in inflatable panga boats. The main LOB used a fish finder and there was also a pilot in an ultralight flying overhead acting as a spotter, other crew diligently searched the sea with binoculars for birds and other signs.

We never saw any whale sharks and I got severe sun burn and poisoning from floating around in the exposed panga all day and I had to seek medical attention. So far the only whale sharks that I've ever seen have been in the Georgia Aquarium in Atlanta.

My point is that even when the conditions are perfect and every effort is made, there's no guarantees. It was a great trip but we had high hopes of interacting with whale sharks so it was a little disappointing.

On the other hand we did have the opportunity to dive with Sealions during that same Baja trip and that was pretty fabulous - so sometimes in life you also get some wonderful surprises!

Maybe our Whale Shark encounter will happen some day, in the meantime I'll just try to be patient, count my blessings, and reflect on these wise words written by Anne Morrow Lingbergh:

"The sea does not reward those who are too anxious, too greedy, or too impatient. One should lie empty, open, choiceless as a beach - waiting for a gift from the sea."

I was looking for somewhere warm to go next year other than Cozumel. I dove there previously and it was excellent. Wanted something different

Fly to Cancun, rent a car, drive to Xcalak and Mahahual. They are what these popular dive spots used to be. Xcalak is not for everyone - no electricity, no public water supply, but oh the diving is pristine, especially Banco Chinchorro. Did I mention the stars, man what a show at night at Xcalak! If you must have AC and more people try Mahahual. I'll be going back again & again.

My point is that even when the conditions are perfect and every effort is made, there's no guarantees. It was a great trip but we had high hopes of interacting with whale sharks so it was a little disappointing.

Honestly don't see how dropping you off in open ocean randomly and having the DM swim around looking for a school of fish, in the hope that they are spawning, and that there might be a whale shark around qualifies as perfect conditions, and every effort is made.

Moreover, I doubt that the dive operation has anywhere near a 95% success rate. I wonder how many years they see no whale sharks at all. My guess would be most, given the way they go about it.

Honestly don't see how dropping you off in open ocean randomly and having the DM swim around looking for a school of fish, in the hope that they are spawning, and that there might be a whale shark around qualifies as perfect conditions, and every effort is made.

Moreover, I doubt that the dive operation has anywhere near a 95% success rate. I wonder how many years they see no whale sharks at all. My guess would be most, given the way they go about it.

I was talking about my Baja LOB trip and that it might not happen even with the best conditons and efforts.

You'd be wrong. They have at least one guest from Italy, a photographer, that comes every year to dive with the whale sharks and photograph them. When I met the gentleman, he'd been coming every May for years.

I'm sorry that you didn't have a good time with Splash and I continue to remain confused as to you not having any idea how many boats they had going out every day.

When I was there, all divers met at the shop/boat dock every morning snd we got on our assigned boats. The boats went out, one after the other. The boats appeared to be in communication with one another. Further, not all boats were allowed on the same site at the same time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom