not a shearwater fan ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can't claim to have much experience with the Eon Steel, but I have played with one.

A big advantage of Shearwater is that the Eon Steel will let you take some weight off your belt. :D

It felt like was strapping a 3lb weight to my arm. It's massive. I also wasn't a big fan of the charging setup. But, the screen was great.

Can't claim to have much experience with the Eon Steel, but I have played with one.

A big advantage of Shearwater is that the Eon Steel will let you take some weight off your belt. :D

It felt like was strapping a 3lb weight to my arm. It's massive. I also wasn't a big fan of the charging setup. But, the screen was great.

Yeah, I thought the Eon Steel was a trim weight with a screen. If you don't need each and every bell and whistle, go with the Eon Core. It's pretty.

Love my Eon core. Considered the perdix bot got a great deal so the Eon Core was much cheaper plus I really prefer the interface and custom screens.

I do not own a Shearwater (I have 2 HW OSTCs) but if they were not around, I would certainly have a Shearwater or two.

The one thing missing for me from the Perdix is the option to alter text size.
Until the perdix, I have dived Suuntos since the late 80’s with one unfortunate short change to Cochran!
Perdix is not perfect but it’s damn near close!
Wife dives a Suunto eon core which is definitely easier to read but goes a little silly with the “penance” (deco) on deep dives!

Wife dives a Suunto eon core which is definitely easier to read but goes a little silly with the “penance” (deco) on deep dives!

It doesn't need to be, but really all depends upon your individual personal settings on each computer

I know from actual experience that 45/95 on the Perix and p-2 on the Eon gives a similar NDL, and indeed Deco time. Because I have my Perdix set to adaptive, then on Deep dives it is that which governs the stop.

That said I'm now a big fan of the Surface GF% on the Perdix where i can make a decision as to how much I wish to "pad" my stops or indeed if I wish to shorten them for any reason

Diving Dubai:
My preference is the Eon Steel.
Thank you for mentioning this. I have not run into to anyone who has one, much less provided an assessment of how well it performs for them. I am a long time Suunto user. My current Suunto - a HeLO2 - has come to the end of its useful life, and I thought about options, including the Eon Steel. How readable is the display in low light / low viz conditions?

I have a Perdix AI - nice computer, and all that. I, too, haven't found the menus to be particularly intuitive but maybe time and experience with the unit will change that. My all-time favorite computer - Liquivision X1 - is no longer made. So, I will use mine until it does, and then look for a replacement (I usually dive with two computers).

@Colliam7 In brief, but feel free to PM me and I'll give you (or anyone) lots more detail rather than jamming up this thread.

Brightness and readability - no problem, equal to or slightly better than the Perdix. I use the graphic display, so I can glance at the position of teh display rather than read the data - much like an SPG where all you're interested in for the most part is roughly where the needle is pointing.

The menus and being able to configure pages of info (NDL, GAS, Compass, timer etc) and havign the ability to choose which additional data to display on each page within the 3 areas is a bonus for customising it around the way you dive.

You can use the cable (or bluetooth ) to download data. Shearwater bluetooth doesn't' work on Win 7 so I'm left with uploading to the cloud via a mobile device and then back to my computer that way

The Steel (not core) will get Buhlmann as an optional algorithm at next firmware update (supposed to be Q3/4 this year). I don't know how that will be implemented

Fused RGBM is just as liberal as Buhlmann - I completed 48 repetitive dives over 12 days recently running P-2 on the Suunto and 45/95 on Perdix and didn't have time issues with either (no more than 5-6 mins deco occasionally after being deep)

Negative, you need to set it up and adjust the layouts on a computer, so if you realise you made a mistake in data presentation you're stuck with it unit you can plug it in

Silly water sensor - in high humidity plus diving in salt you need to make sure the sensor is dry post dive otherwise the computer can stay switch on - I've bitched at Suunto to give an option to either disable it of give me a sleep function I can activate from the menus.

Suunto will lock you out if you exceed a deco ceiling by 3mins - never happend to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom