Scuba diver dies after complaining of gear malfunction

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If the hose connector is stiff, change your hose
I'd recommend trying to add a dab of silicone grease to the inside of the connector sleeve first. Much simpler and much cheaper. And it often works.

I'd recommend trying to add a dab of silicone grease to the inside of the connector sleeve first. Much simpler and much cheaper. And it often works.

Well yes, you can try cleaning and lubing first of course - but from my perspective at least hoses are consumable items anyway - but that's just me

but from my perspective at least hoses are consumable items anyway
Of course they are. But with proper maintenance, their lifetime can be extended rather drastically.

Chairman-
"including DMs turning off my air." We were warned about that, and "anything goes" during harassment day during training. Anyone surfacing before their tank was empty, would be flunked. So I'm hanging out in the deep section of the pool bottom, trying to keep one eye behind me head and just be situationally aware, when one instructor swims over, doffs his gear, and motions for me to hold it for him as he goes away for do some forcible buddy breathing. No octopuses then either.
And I get to thinking, anything goes? OK, fair's fair. So I bleed the instructors tank dry. Still no sign of instructor. SO then I also TURN OFF HIS VALVE. Figuring, he'll quickly realize the valve was turned off and patiently turn it back on, only to find, heheh, a bone dry tank.

You know, when someone gets really pissed off about not having any air, you can hear them screaming curses, all the way down through the water?(G)

I hope our instructor is still alive, because I really ought to get around to sending him a thank-you letter, for teaching us "DON'T PANIC" long before Fedex or Douglas Adams made that popular.

His philosophy was that it is VERY easy to get killed diving. But that for every possible failure, there are THREE ways to get past it, and if you don't panic, but just run the 1-2-3 ways to get past it, you'll only be inconvenienced, not dead. (That, and that some people are naturally panic-prone, and it was an instructor's job to just flunk them out and convince them to take up something like golf instead.)

I wouldn't recommend that at all, it will attract sand and other particles that will make things worse. You can service the connection no problem but arbitrary greasing it isn't recommended. Grease isn't going to remove salt, corrosion and stuck on minerals in the connection.

I wouldn't recommend that at all, it will attract sand and other particles that will make things worse. You can service the connection no problem but arbitrary greasing it isn't recommended. Grease isn't going to remove salt, corrosion and stuck on minerals in the connection.
Well, I guess it depends on your definition of "a dab". Most movable parts, like O-rings, do better with a little bit of silicone grease. Albeit not so much that it attracts sand and other particles.

Things like metal hose connectors? Better to hit it with some CRC contact cleaner, which leaves no sticky residue. Or try soaking in vinegar or lemon juice overnight, or CRL (calcium stain remover) to remove any residues, if that says it is rubber safe. But once the metal is clean, some "dry telfon" spray lube will keep it slick without attracting any sand.

There are usually o-rings in the snap-in connectors, buried in there. The o-rings need replacing from time to time to. There's often some nearly invisible bit that needs maintenance in scuba gear. A set of brass picks (that won't scratch the stainless seats) and the exact right replacements can do wonders.

Back
Top Bottom