Any advice for first wetsuit purchase?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The most important thing is fit. ...
Agreed,,,FIT,,,FIT,,,,FIT,,,

All the others above posted excellent advice, but if the fit isn't perfect then you just wasted all that money on thickness, brand, colors etc.

Put the wetsuit on in the store with a friend watching you. Slowly bend at the waist, arms, legs. Have your friend watch the suit and look to see if the material seams move even the slightest bit. The less (or no movement) is the best fitting suit. If you bend your knees and the bottom seam slides up, that's bad. If you bend at the waist and the front moves and creates a wrinkle or inside air gap, that's bad. If you raise your arms over your head and the neck seal moves or gaps, that's bad. The material should stretch with you bending, not ride up nor move, not even a tiny bit. Movement equals water intrusion and that equals cold.

Every style of suit is cut and made differently and what's good on one person is bad on another person. You'll know it when you find the best suit for you because you'll swear it's like it's molded to your body and doesn't move no matter how much you bend. So go to a good selection store, bring a second person, and slowly bend and look for movement and gaps. If nothing works, go to another selection.

What ever suit you buy, also buy a neoprene cap. The one I like is “Scap”..... love it. Prevents a lot of heat loss from the head and more comfortable than a hood!

Scap can be found on Amazon.

If you live in a cold area like Philly, I recommend either getting her a 7mm wetsuit or preferably a drysuit (if you can afford one). I have a drysuit and it is totally worth every penny!! But then again, it wasnt a big hit for me financially though.

Also, yes, get her a 3mm for when she goes to Florida or tropical places. You also can get her a pretty cheap 3mm or 2mm vest to wear on top of it, if she goes to a place with avg waters that are not quite warm enough for a pure 3mm, but too warm for the bulky 7mm.

What ever suit you buy, also buy a neoprene cap. The one I like is “Scap”..... love it. Prevents a lot of heat loss from the head and more comfortable than a hood!

Scap can be found on Amazon.

How do you keep your Scap on? I wear mine under my beanie if it's cooler. I used to lose my Scap off my head regularly but having a ponytail kept it with me.

How do you keep your Scap on? I wear mine under my beanie if it's cooler. I used to lose my Scap off my head regularly but having a ponytail kept it with me.
The first time I wore my SCAP, it slide off.... from then on, I tied it a little tighter and haven’t had any problem sense. Those little nubs on the forehead work like a charm for me.

The first time I wore my SCAP, it slide off.... from then on, I tied it a little tighter and haven’t had any problem sense. Those little nubs on the forehead work like a charm for me.

I've had mine synched pretty tight but no bueno before end of dive. Maybe too much hair, maybe best for bigger foreheads and no ponytail, dunno.

Anyway, I still like it cuz of the pattern on it and rock it by letting it show below the beanie on my forehead, lol

If you live in a cold area like Philly, I recommend either getting her a 7mm wetsuit or preferably a drysuit (if you can afford one).

Ah, yes - I admit to seething envy whenever I see nearby divers comfortably sliding out of those drysuits while we're shivering and struggling with our neoprene lol!

When I browsed prices recently I definitely had a bit of sticker shock!... It may have to be on the "maybe next year" plan for now. Over the past 18 months, I've assembled full gear (minus tanks & suits) for us both - dive equipment has become an almost steady expense category lately. I might need to stop the bleeding for at least a little while (otherwise I may be making divorce attorney payments as well) o_O

I use multiple suits as well:
80's - Xcel 3mm full suit
70's - Bare 5mm full suit
60's and below - Xcel 8/7mm full suit with attached hood.
I also have a couple different neoprene vests I can add under any of my suits if needed. Wetsuits are consumable so the more you dive them the sooner you need to replace them when I get a new suit I rotate my old suit to a back up and then toss my back up. When I do a liveaboard I take two suits so I always have a dry one to start the day.

As other people have said, fit is the most important factor. Number two, for me, is how comfortable and stretchy the material is. I would go to a shop that has a range of brands and sizes (a lot of brands do tall and short versions) and try stuff on. My only must have is a full body skin (either a top and bottom set or a onsie). These make a world of difference donning and doffing said suit and also provide sun protection between dives. I also LOVE having dive socks for hygiene and for the ease of getting boots on and off.

I have a full 3mm, 5mm, and 7mm and I wear them all, with or without a hooded vest, every year in SE Florida. I dive elsewhere several times each year and take the best full suit for the expected temps along with the hooded vest, in case. Gloves also help if you find yourself on the cold side.

Unless you always dive under the same conditions, it's hard to recommend the one best suit. I don't think I've ever been too warm in the water, you can always flush your suit. However, I've been cold many times and find it very unpleasant. A full 5mm may be the most versatile if you are willing to compromise. Wear it alone in warm water, add the hooded vest in cold water. This would be good for me from the low-mid 70s to the low 80s

Back
Top Bottom