Recommend a good waterproof tape

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aviator8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Can anyone recommend a good waterproof tape that works well in salt and fresh water? I am wanting it right now for quickly fastening a lighting gel to a holder, but would like to keep something in my bag for other general purpose quick fixes as well.

I think I had just heard a TV commercial for CLEAR waterproof Gorilla tape yesterday, worth calling them.
But any duct or gaffer's tape should be waterproof, if you apply it to a dry surface, as opposed to trying to apply it to a wet one. Self-adhesive Velcro (preferably the "heavy duty" all plastic kind) might be another option, or 3M Command strips, that will still work when wet. Gear Aid Tenacious Tape (Amazon, etc. or camping suppliers) works on raingear and tent flies, thinner than duct tape but sticks well too. Available in thin flat "rolls" that will pack down well, too.

thanks for the suggestions. Got some things to check out at the hardware store now.

Rescue tape/centerline tape or 3M self-amalgamating tape, their numbers are:
  • Scotch 23
  • Scotch 130C
  • Scotch 13
  • Scotch 70"

Just found some gaffer tape sealing a two inch seam separation, on a urethane CCR lung

I've had some gaffer sealing a couple of small knife wounds in a lift bag for 20yrs

Just found some gaffer tape sealing a two inch seam separation, on a urethane CCR lung

I've had some gaffer sealing a couple of small knife wounds in a lift bag for 20yrs
I love Gaffers tape, but that's probably because I work in theater production Haha. It works pretty well underwater as long as it's applied dry. The bonus with Gaffers tape is it's designed not to pull paint to leave adhesive behind.

Gear Aid's Tenacious Tape is good stuff, but I'm pretty sure it's intended to be "permanent".

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom