Hollis LTS vs Cressi Travelight vs other travel BCs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Displayed Name

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello everyone

I am new to this forum and in the process of choosing travel BCDs for me and my husband. I have now spent over a week looking at all the online reviews, top BCDs lists, scubaboard comments.... and I am lost!

I started from this list: BEST TRAVEL BCDs - DIVE Magazine and quite liked the Hollis LTS. The 2kgs max weight per pocket is not an issue for me. But then I read in various blogs that having only one tank strap could be an issue. And the Hollis LTS does have one strap. I have not seen many comments on the Hollis compared to other travel BCs online, has anyone got an opinion on this and the Hollis in general? I also noted that Hollis has a very small footprint in Europe, and none in France where I am likely to get my gear serviced. Can that be an issue?

I am a fan of Scubapro and the Litehawk caught my eyes too, although it did not make it to the previous "best of" list. I like the IWS, similar to the Hollis' and different from the vast majority of other BCDs (why? it seems so much simpler to pull down than to pull horizontally to dump the weights?). However I could not find many reviews about it, and it seems that when it comes to Scubapro travel BCs, everybody recommends the Scubapro Go model. Any opinion on the Litehawk vs Go? I know they are jacket vs wing but that does not bother me, although I loved the tec set-up (from a very modest tec experience...). I read about the Air2 system for the Litehawk (inflator used as alternate air source), what are the views on that?

Then there are a lots of posts on the Cressi Travelight and Oceanic Biolite. One jacket and one wing style. They seem to be the most popular if I judge by the number of posts about them. I am a bit worried about the Biolite material, wear out and scuba incidents (accidental encounter with the reef in strong currents, I know it is a sin but hey, it happens!).
So, this leaves the Cressi Travelight. Not an exciting jacket-style BCs but I could not find any significant cons.

I would welcome your views!
Thanks in advance.

I like the IWS, similar to the Hollis' and different from the vast majority of other BCDs (why? it seems so much simpler to pull down than to pull horizontally to dump the weights?).

If you're horizontal in the water, pulling them forward is down.

If you're horizontal in the water, pulling them forward is down.
Zero mark for me not to think about this small detail but I think another difference between the 2 systems is that in the "horizontal" one, you dump the weights and the pockets whereas in the "down" one, you only loose the weights. Is that correct?

I'd suggest adding the Zeagle Express-Tech to that list to consider. Even with the "Deluxe" back and shoulder padding, the speed of drying combined with the overall weight and lack of bulk of this fiber pseudo-BP/W have made it my preferred travel BCD.
I saw this one too in various posts. Which weight system did you choose? They offer two systems.

Zero mark for me not to think about this small detail but I think another difference between the 2 systems is that in the "horizontal" one, you dump the weights and the pockets whereas in the "down" one, you only loose the weights. Is that correct?
I think that's probably a reasonable generalization, but there will be exceptions.

I dive a Hollis BP/w but have their weight pockets which are the horizontal pull type and really like them. It's very easy to load weights in the pockets, gear up, then slide the pockets in with a click.

I would take a look at the Dive Rite TravelPac. TravelPac BCD | Dive Rite It's a well made BC, most of the hardware is stainless steel, it weights less than 6lb, it has 2 tank straps, it has a crotch strap, it doesn't have any extra crap on it that you don't need, and you can add weight pockets.
I wouldn't put too much stock in any "best of" lists in magazines, they usually include the companies that give them the most advertising dollars.

I saw this one too in various posts. Which weight system did you choose? They offer two systems.
I bought the version with the Zip-Touch system and they work with the same Zeagle Mesh weight-bags that I used with my previous BCD.
My previous BCD was a Zeagle Stiletto which has both the Zip and Ripcord systems.
I prefer the Zip - it's easier for me to use and I like that it screws into the backplate. It puts the weight in a comfortable place on me and it opens fully for cleaning/ drying (without messing about with having to re-thread the rip-cord).

Honestly, if your biggest concern is being able to dump weight, I'd consider the Deluxe (Padded) Express Tech without any weight system, and get yourself a comfortable belt with weight pouches. A belt will be the most logical and almost simplest method of dumping weight - no "systems" needed.

A lot of the answer depends on what you want to do with you diving? Is this truly a travel BCD that you will only use in warm water vacations, or are you possibly going to do more with it? A bcd is a tool that should be tailored to what you want it to do.

I own a Cressida Travellight, it is a good jacket style travel BCD. Very light, works very well. But now that I am thinking more towards technical diving I realize there were better options. In hindsite I probably would have bought a DGX BP/W(DGX Custom - DGX Singles Harness / Backplate / Wing Package).

My point is make sure you think honestly about what you want to do and then buy the right tool for the job. There is no “best BCD”, what there is, is a best BCD for this job or style of diving you want to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom