Crotch Strap, trainable equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Surprised nobody has brought up the advanced/tech crotch strap with a Tow ring!

...and almost forgot the butt D ring. Can’t live without that!

...I’m gonna go refill my beverage while you goofballs figure out what to do with that!
i thought it was a cock ring for your 100th dive naked

Must be a PADI instructor. If it isn't in the manual, it doesn't exist. That is what specialty classes are for.

This statement is ridiculous and a false generalization. I am a PADI instructor and I teach OW in jacket style BCD but also allow them to try a bp/w. Then in the Advanced course I put them back in a bp/w and give them training on how to use it, the history behind it, why we use it and how to trim yourself out using one. I also put them on longhose/primary donate at this point.

Ever heard the saying "It is the instructor and not the agency?"

Skill 1 - perfect the hip sway whilst simultaneously reaching between legs.

Skill 2 - assist buddy to donn crotch strap whilst trying not to make contact with naughty bits. Lewd comments are encouraged to make light of potentially awkward situation.

Skill 3 - correctly adjust crotch strap. If the result resembles a cheese wire through an Edam, it may be too tight.

Don't think I'm missing anything am I? Distinctive Specialty Course on its way!

:rofl3: Just one question, why do you avoid staring at the naughty bits? :eek::p

Vector physics , yeah no thanks.
No calculus needed... just a concept of thrust and how it affects your "weight" under water.

Back to the original point, the instructor may have felt that any equipment change might have caused nervousness in the particular student. Let them get a few more dives in before any changes. I've seen a couple students who din't like to switch between the 2 different (but very similar) BCDs my LDS rents.

Less seriously are some people calling it a crouch strap because if you over-tighten it you crouch in pain?

Back to the original point, the instructor may have felt that any equipment change might have caused nervousness in the particular student.
She lost 45 pounds and now the equipment is shifting on her. She's going to freak without that crotch strap.

Back to the original point, the instructor may have felt that any equipment change might have caused nervousness in the particular student. Let them get a few more dives in before any changes. I've seen a couple students who din't like to switch between the 2 different (but very similar) BCDs my LDS rents.

Less seriously are some people calling it a crouch strap because if you over-tighten it you crouch in pain?

To be honest mom, is the best diver of the group, She works. Teenage millennial boys, enough said, and Dad... he is the nervous one.

She lost 45 pounds and now the equipment is shifting on her. She's going to freak without that crotch strap.

This is what I was thinking, I have pulled the waist straps pretty tight, all the weight loss has made her... kind of squishy and it slips around. She is doing good, but need a little more gym time.

Unlike the "arm chair" "instructors" here.

I'd attach the crotch strap then put here in confined water for a quick dip so she can get used to it, go over the weight belt drop and kit remove and replace so she's comfortable and then make the dive

I want my students to be comfortable and confident in their kit so that they can enjoy the dive and concentrate on whatever else I need them to do rather than be faffing with gear.

But that's just me

This is what I was thinking, I have pulled the waist straps pretty tight, all the weight loss has made her... kind of squishy and it slips around. She is doing good, but need a little more gym time.
Why not go down a size on the BC so it doesn't slip around?
If that's not an option and you can add a crotch strap easily I'd do it.
Of course the BPW's I give my students the option of using have crotch straps. And they go over the weight belt. Helps to prevent an accidental loss of lead. They are also properly weighted so the extra second it takes to undo the waist belt buckle to allow the weight belt to fall away if necessary is a non-issue.

Unlike the "arm chair" "instructors" here.

I'd attach the crotch strap then put here in confined water for a quick dip so she can get used to it, go over the weight belt drop and kit remove and replace so she's comfortable and then make the dive

I want my students to be comfortable and confident in their kit so that they can enjoy the dive and concentrate on whatever else I need them to do rather than be faffing with gear.

But that's just me

Hapilly posting from my premium armchair:

Would you really (in most cases) recommend a pool session for every minor gear modification? How often do you suppose people take out rental gear and splash without a pool session? Sure I know it optimal, but really... adding a crotch strap is not that big of a deal. If a student is going to be thrown off their ‘groove’ by this.. I suspect much bigger issues.

Back
Top Bottom