Good Basic Boat Scuba First Aid Kit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Among the bandages include some waterproof bandages. Even a small cut can be an issue especially in warmer water. Put them on when the skin is dry and the wound is totally protected throughout your diving that day. Pain to get off that night though.

Thanks, this is the kind of information I'm looking for.....can you point me to the guidelines you mention, or are they the property of your employer.
Contact your local first responders, firefighter-paramedic group. They'll be free to disclose their tactics.
I'm sure there's a borderline situation where you'll probably be fine without the tourniquet just applying pressure, and I don't mean to dismiss the seriousness of applying the tool, but with humans there always that big grey area. At that point I should consider other factors, my typical set of conditions are pretty constant, so I plan on that.
?? is there enough people available to have one apply pressure and kepp comms with coast guard or 911, while another person is operating the boat, or am I the only one doing everything? If by myself my son or husband is getting the tourniquet.
I understand that 6 to 8 hours is a decent window as far as the odds of little to no damage due to the tourniquet, maybe someone in the medical field can confirm this?

Thanks for posting the question, it definitely made me think the why's of the process and force me to rehearse my plan.

No one keeps quick-clot in their kit? For severe injuries where it's going to take you some time to get to medical professionals, it can save lives. That said, it should only be used in serious situations where other means are likely to be inadequate. But if a shark takes a big bite out of me and I'm bleeding uncontrollably, please go ahead and use it on me while we wait for a helicopter to evac me to the hospital. I'd rather the surgeon have a hard time cleaning the wound of quick-clot vs pronouncing me DOA.

Reactions: Ana
Yes, but I'm still thinking about what could constitute a serious bleed in a remote setting. This could include an LOB in some cases. So far we have a propeller or chainsaw accident. The reason I'm concerned about this is that tourniquet injury can occur if it is left on for an extensive period of time.....I've seen anywhere from 1 1/2 to 8 hours posited. If the injury occurs in a remote setting those times may come into play, so I to make sure I've done my homework.

This is the guidance from Emergency First Response

Serious bleeding

A tourniquet may now be considered for initial care when an emergency provider is unable to use direct pressure to control bleeding, such as during a mass casualty incident, with a person who has multisystem trauma, in an unsafe environment, or with a wound that can’t be accessed. Tourniquets can be effective for severe external limb bleeding.

✦ Note the time that a tourniquet is first applied and communicate this information to EMS providers.

Tourniquets use in the prehospital setting have been found to control bleeding effectively in most cases and have a low rate of complications

note Part 15: First Aid – ECC Guidelines for guidance from the red cross

Among the bandages include some waterproof bandages. Even a small cut can be an issue especially in warmer water. Put them on when the skin is dry and the wound is totally protected throughout your diving that day. Pain to get off that night though.

What brand of waterproof bandage do you use?

What brand of waterproof bandage do you use?

Not sure. The bandaid is clear except for the the small part over the wound. Very sticky. I can put on in the morning when skin is dry. At the end of the day after two dives it is completely intact and still water tight. Note that the overall bandaid is noticeable larger than the pad in the middle. Picked up at the pharmacy. Have found in more than one drug store.

Back
Top Bottom