diving Hawaii - how is it??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Juergen_187

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi,

we consider going to Hawaii this summer and also dive there. Now I wonder how is the diving there. On Youtube I found mostly videos about cage diving, spear fishing, "I found a tablet underwater" or whatever kind of stuff, but hardly any really good stuff.

So, I'm a bit skeptical now...anyone with experience?

We've been already to Palau and Fiji, other options in Asia (we're based in Hong Kong) could be New Caledonia or Vanuatu...

Thanks!

Juergen

My dive buddy and I we're not impressed with Maui, but he did the big island on another trip and liked it a lot. I did an intro to scuba class on the big island back in 1991, and thought that was a lot better than Maui, but it was also skewed because it was my first two dives ever.

I dove Molokini crater off of Maui in December and thought that it was just ok. The best dive of the trip was Temple of Doom. This video pretty much captures my experience there.

Other divers on my boat we're talking about how much better the reef is on Lanai.

Vanuatu is a remarkably adventurous totally unique place on many levels, including the diving. There is a recent thread on it here on SB. I love and live on Hawaii but would pick Vanuatu (or Fiji or Palau) over it any day unless you're needing/wanting a packaged typical tourist experience in a First World country with all the medical, travel and infrastructure implications.

Having said that there is good diving in Hawaii and occasionally great animal experiences but the reefs are impoverished compared to Fiji or Palau or Indonesia (Komodo blows it away). Vanuatu's reefs are better than Hawaii but not as good as other places like Fiji but it also has the Coolidge, Million Dollar Pt, fresh water Blue Holes, an accessible amazing erupting volcano, an amazing diversity of tribal culture and a choice of remote adventure or developed "spoiled" civilization (sometimes a bit of both simultaneously.) Vanuatu is a new nation, rough around the edges to say the least, comprised of many tribes and expats and developing in fits and starts. Australia and New Zealand are helping out. The diving operations seem to be all run by Australians and are quite professional imho. Guides are usually locals and they're great too so I always felt safe diving, You absolutely need guides to dive the immense Coolidge.

I'm diving here on the Big Island regularly (in the next 8 hours) and enjoy it greatly. It's a beautiful place. Very convenient from the US mainland and has great reliable flight connections with Japan/Asia. (Scoot airlines ) I have encountered whale sharks, Mantas (of course) hammerheads, lots of dolphins, tons of eels and nice fish life. However, that is from tons of diving and except for the common mantas you might or might not see those things on vacation. (Whale Sharks are very unusual,) Moreover, Hawaii is biologically isolated by vast distance and is too far from the coral triangle (or any other reef systems) and a bit too far north to have Fiji level diversity. We have only a few coral species, for example, and they're beat up in many places. Fish species are far less diverse than Fiji etc.- larval stages often can't make the 2500 mile journey so they never got to Hawaii.

my 2 cents.

As stated above, Hawai'i is a different experience from the coral triangle. I personally love diving the Big Island and Kaua'i (especially Ni'ihau), but you have to set your expectations accordingly. There is a high degree of endemism in the Hawaiian islands - you'll see critters here that you won't find anywhere else in the world. The appeal of Hawai'i for me is that it offers more than just diving - there is a ton to do on land as well as in the water.

You may want to post your questions over on the Hawai'i board, as quite a few locals frequent it and can offer helpful tips.

Hawai'i

If I were starting in Hong Kong, I'm not sure I'd dive Hawaii. Things that might attract you are the turtles (there are many), lava tubes, or perhaps checking off that endemic fish from your "life list."

We go there pretty routinely because I can get an easy direct flight on my airline of choice to any of the major islands, it's got great activities for my snorkeling-but-not-diving family, and it's well-developed enough to have movie theaters and other terrestrial attractions to keep the kids occupied on a "dry day" once a week or so. It also has good medical resources for a medically challenged family member, should they be needed.

Depending on where and when you dive, you might see bigger sharks, mantas, etc..

Here's a snippet from my dive near Kona Hawaii yesterday.
medium sized tiger shark (not La Verne)

From Hong Kong couldn't you easily do a Bali-Komodo trip ? I did one 2 years ago and it was great both above and below water.

Hawaii is a beautiful and interesting place to visit above water. And there is some nice diving, unique in many ways. If I were based in Hong Kong, I doubt I would go there for a trip meant primarily for diving, given all the other options in the region. But I might go if I were interested in visiting the place in general. If you decide to dive there, I think it helps if you know what to expect (or not) and appreciate whats there like the volcanic features, endemic fish, and a good shot at some big stuff. And not expect too much of the coral.

I dove Molokini crater off of Maui in December and thought that it was just ok. The best dive of the trip was Temple of Doom. This video pretty much captures my experience there.

Other divers on my boat we're talking about how much better the reef is on Lanai.

thank you!

Ni'ihau is worth the trip if you can make it. It's more of a geology dive but there are critters there to. When we went we saw sandbar sharks, one large blacktip shark, monk seals, and some of the endemic fish species.

When we went diving on Maui we mostly ended up diving off of Lanai with Extended Horizons. There seemed to be more fish there than anywhere else in Hawaii and I've been diving off of every major island in the chain at least once, and lived on Oahu for four years.

The Big Island also has it's charms both for geology and fish. We saw a tiger shark on one dive, monk seal on another. Caught a glimpse of a manta ray on a night dive. Some of the sites Jack's Diving Locker goes on their extended range trips are pretty pristine.

Back
Top Bottom