• Yes

Votes: 22 27.5%
  • No

Votes: 56 70.0%
  • Maybe: Explain below

Votes: 2 2.5%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The time I dozed off was when I was in warmer waters, minimal stress and was mesmerized by the underwater beauty I was witnessing. I was ultra relaxed. I do not suffer from narcolepsy.

I said maybe because I believe I enter in a kind of vigilant trance in which while keeping my eyes open I am so relaxed and detached that it feels like sleeping. But I never missed the time to ascend to the next stop. I only get in “the zone” in deco and while on a SMB or Deco trapeze ...

Do you guys who fall asleep while diving also fall asleep while driving? Seems similarly dangerous. And seems like either is a sign of narcolepsy or other sleep disorder.

No, it's not a narcolepsy kind of thing. When you are doing a long deco hang and are really relaxed after an awesome dive, but have nothing but look at but "blue", it's easy to take a little snooze. When I've done this, my actual asleep time is probably less than a minute. More like like being just being super relaxed and kind of being in a half-awake state.

I actually got caught snoring a couple of times. After that, I started pulling the comm wires from my helmet.

My OW instructor loved her naps (above ground) and she often joked how she should try to make a PADI Underwater Napper distinctive specialty. Then we'd all try and figure out what skills you'd need to demonstrate.

Oh...hmmm....ah...um...

I will not do more than 10 minutes of deco; furthermore, I have limited myself to Tec 40 because I know I would fall asleep u/w and then grab the high octane reg and suffer a CNS hit.

I know I would do that--a man has got to know his limitations, and I know mine. (that's a great line, I should copyright that).

dive on (without me and that long deco stuff),
m

I don’t have any sleep disorders either, but I’ve napped for a few minutes on deco on multiple occasions. Typically on dives dives with a lot of deco - when the final stop at 10 feet hits triple digit minutes. It has been a while since I’ve done one of those dives, though.

The time I dozed off was when I was in warmer waters, minimal stress and was mesmerized by the underwater beauty I was witnessing. I was ultra relaxed. I do not suffer from narcolepsy.

wild ride this diving caper with the availability of sleeping one second and cheek clenching the next

Used to nap during the 10 feet deco stop, while on a rocky ledge. Don't any more, because it seems to scare the living daylight out of some fellow divers each time. Don't like been shout out when back on the boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom