Belize 2020

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tank601

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I'm headed there next year - Any good dive operations that have small numbers going out? Like 6 packs or similar? Ambergris Caye vs Palencia? Ambergris looks cheaper to get to.

From Ambergris Caye, check out "Island Divers" and/or "Chuck and Robbie's"

I'm headed there next year - Any good dive operations that have small numbers going out? Like 6 packs or similar? Ambergris Caye vs Palencia? Ambergris looks cheaper to get to.

Here's our trip report from last year: Why NOT Ambergris? As it points out, we dove with Ecologic, and there were always less than 6 divers on the boat.

Any idea why Ecologic have been trying to offload their dive operation for the last year or so?

Wasn't aware of that. When we dove with them, the owners were in Honduras, setting up their new operation.

We're looking into another trip down there in a year or so, and had planned to dive with them then, as well.

I would stay away from Placencia. I am there now and have found the rides to the dive sites long (an hour), the reefs poor, very few fish, low visibility, and rough to dangerous gettiing out of and back into the boat. I'll be posting a review once I get home. My last day here is tomorrow.

Apparently, it's not for everyone and bad sea conditions and failure to see what you'd hoped to see could definitely color one's opinion. But you know, different strokes for different folks.

I've been to a number of areas in Belize and love it all. Yes, the dive sites are a bit further out than from Ambergris Caye but the reef system down there is also different from that found closer in at Ambergris Caye.

The village of Placencia is a very pleasant experience with a very nice beach as well. It is much more quiet than San Pedro on Ambergris Caye and so could be just what you're looking for.

So Ambergris Caye has a better reef?

So Ambergris Caye has a better reef?

That is what everyone on the dive boats I was on said. But consider this. - my dive club went to Ambergris (I couldn't go with them at the time) - every one that went was disappointed at the lack of fish and the quality of the coral, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom