SSI Shop Crossover

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ditchdoc383

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone know of a shop crossing over to SSI? I need to find a crossover class sooner than later. My PADI cert has quickly become useless in the midwest. I was mainly teaching DRI but want to get back into some recreational stuff. Any help is appreciated. I'd go about anywhere. Ryan

I know of an SSI Instructor Certifier, a few hours away, in Evansville, IN Who could do a crossover for you, 1 on 1, if needed. He is typically reasonable + the cost of crossover materials. PM me &I will give you his contact information.

why not sdi ?

A shop for which I used to teach swapped over. The region director (not sure if that is the right title) coordinated with the shop owner and manager. It appeared to be a simple process. My own crossover was straight forward. Does this help at all?

PADI is becoming less popular over SSI? When I started scuba lessons everyone told me to go with PADI. I went around to a bunch of dive shops to get a vibe on the instructors and staff. Two PADI dive stores, one SDI dive store, and lastly a small SSI shop. The instructors were older, each had a different diving passion, all kinda nerdy eccentric, and zero ego. They also didn’t try to sell me on the diving agency, just the fun of the sport. After speaking with them for close to two hours I asked were do I sign up. Best decision I made. I plan my dive and dive my plan. The instructors in all honesty were instructors for just about ever agency out there. All have 20+ years. I’m happy to hear SSI being preferred. I hate booking dives and always seeing “Must be a certified OW or AOW diver with valid credentials from PADI, NAUI, SDI, or other approved accrediting agency” I’ve never had an issue but you know.

PADI is becoming less popular over SSI?

I think that is primarily cost driven. With margins already so low, switching as a shop and an instructor saves hundreds. Maybe not a big deal to everyone, but in places like Greece (not exactly a diving mecca) with a short summer season (peak July & August, shoulder season in September and first part of October, late April & May), that's significant (especially considering the overall crisis that is exacerbated with high taxes).

But PADI has its marketing, which is very successful. Whether that marketing is worth more or less than the difference in costs, each shop must make that decision for itself.

I think that is primarily cost driven. With margins already so low, switching as a shop and an instructor saves hundreds. Maybe not a big deal to everyone, but in places like Greece (not exactly a diving mecca) with a short summer season (peak July & August, shoulder season in September and first part of October, late April & May), that's significant (especially considering the overall crisis that is exacerbated with high taxes).

But PADI has its marketing, which is very successful. Whether that marketing is worth more or less than the difference in costs, each shop must make that decision for itself.
A pretty big dive shop by me switched from PADI to SDI and if I heard correctly they will save close to six figures annually. Like I said I’m not completely sure i heard correctly, but if true that’s crazy.

A pretty big dive shop by me switched from PADI to SDI and if I heard correctly they will save close to six figures annually. Like I said I’m not completely sure i heard correctly, but if true that’s crazy.
I can't speak for the shop costs really, as I never saw those numbers. But for dive pros, the difference is significant. It is my understanding that the savings in the shop also come through not having to buy books / less expensive online training. I'm skeptical about 6 figures, as I don't think many shops even gross that amount in training. If one does, I'd be curious as to how large their operation is.

I can't speak for the shop costs really, as I never saw those numbers. But for dive pros, the difference is significant. It is my understanding that the savings in the shop also come through not having to buy books / less expensive online training. I'm skeptical about 6 figures, as I don't think many shops even gross that amount in training. If one does, I'd be curious as to how large their operation is.
Second that (savings for dive pros and students).

The cost of going pro between PADI and SSI is quite a significant sum. Not to mention the annual renewal for instructor, SSI is about 1/2-1/3 of what PADI charges (where I am located).

There is a gradual trend locally as of late that more and more beginners are going with SSI (OW, AOW) due to economic savings.

i would contact ssi directly. they should be able to provide you with a schedule for this year of where they are doing crossovers. you should be able to get in on one of those if you cannot find anyone in your area that is certified to do it with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom