Computer that will monitor 2 people

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Slavoise

New
Reaction score
I'm looking for a computer that will not only monitor my air wirelessly but also monitor my sons at the same time. Due to his age (12) I prefer to be able to monitor his tank from my computer as well as mine.

What are your recommendations? I was looking at maybe the Aqualung i770R or the Suunto Eon Core. My only concern with the Suunto is that I read that if you "mess up" and miss a deco by any time it will lock you out for your entire dive.

Thanks in advance for any insight.

The upper-end computers from Oceanic, AquaLung (almost the same!), and Shearwater (and probably others) all allow monitoring more than one transmitter. Shearwater is the only one that will NOT lock you out if you violate its guidance. One thing to be careful of is the transmitters: there is more positive buzz on the forums about the performance of the Oceanic-style transmitter (also used by AL and SW) than there is about the Suunto transmitters (only used by Suunto). You'll also need to be fairly close to your son to capture his signals...but I'm guessing you do this anyway!

The DISCONTINUED Oceanic VTX does - you can still buy them.

Possibly the Scubapro/Uwatec Galileo Sol HF - the older models did.

One thing to be specific on is some computers support multiple transmitters on the same diver - others have a buddy monitoring option. Some also require you to change screens//transmitters to see your buddy's pressure. There's at least one (Shearwater?) that allows you to display it in the corner of the main screen.

Most have a limited range also - often within about 10'.

I think the range on the transmitters might be an issue. I know a couple rebreather divers that have to move the transmitters up with longer hoses because the signal on the shearwater Nerd2 combo was not reliable from the bottom mounted regs.

I dive with my kids often, so I certainly understand the tendency to want to maintain parental control. I would only, humbly suggest you are likely to create a potentially bad situation as they will almost assuredly become accustomed to the safety net you are providing.

As an alternative, I suggest adding a strict gas management plan to your dive profile and make a BIG freaking deal if anyone violates it. For example, diving to the rule of 1/3rds, where you divide your beginning tank pressure by 3, and agree to “turn” the dive at the 1/3rd mark and start either retracing path back to the anchor line, or ascending.. and the last 1/3rd is always kept in reserve. This may be harder for drift diving, but the basic idea can be preserved.

Take a look at the Ratio computers. They can monitor multiple transmitters, but as mentioned range is an issue. But ratio transmitters have a feature where it has a LED that will change from green to yellow to red as tank pressure drops, so even if you don't have him in range you can see a rough estimate of the tank pressure from his transmitter.

Considering my last post, I find it kind of funny what just popped up In my fb feed. Looks like Ratio Dive computers have wireless transmitted with bright Red/Yellow/Green indicators that shine through the housing. Even though I am still a proponent of dive independence. If a parent or divemaster needed to monitor another diver, this seems like a good option.

I might outfit my kid with this Tx and keep it low key.

What are your recommendations? I was looking at maybe the Aqualung i770R or the Suunto Eon Core. My only concern with the Suunto is that I read that if you "mess up" and miss a deco by any time it will lock you out for your entire dive.

That only means mandatory deco stops, Sunnto might whine at you a little if you miss a "mandatory" safety stop, but it won't lock you out. Also check the manual chances are the Aqualung will lock you out for missed deco too, only really dedicated tech computers not lock you out.

Ratio that I mentioned is marketed mostly to tech divers, so chances are it won't have a lock out, but that isn't a feature that I would really sell a computer on. As that is mostly for tech divers, a recreational diver that finds themselves in deco should follow the deco instructions of their computer as long as they have gas for it.

Think it through. In order to pick up even your own signal you need to have the receiver fairly close to the transmitter. This may vary by manufacturer and model but generally it's only a couple of feet at best. I have experienced intermittent loss of signal simply by crossing my hands against my chest. So you're going to want to check your son's gas levels. You can either a) swim very close to him and try to get your receiving unit close enough to the tank to pick up the signal, you'll probably have to wait a few moments for it to show up on your display. Or, simply mount his spg in such a way that you can swim up next to him and give it a quick twist in your direction so you can shoot a glance at it.

My Oceanic OCi can monitor up to 4 tx at once while my Perdix AI can monitor one more.

Perdix AI can access the info more conveniently than OCi. But OCi can essentially monitor the small dive group (assuming everyone has the same tx).

As other posters have mentioned that range might be an issue. But I guess in OP's case, I think it's a good idea to stay close anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom