Liveaboards during US Thanksgiving. Yay or Nah for Americans....?

Would you take an 11 day Raja Ampat liveaboard during Thanksgiving?

• Absolutely! That's the best time of year and I prefer to get away during the holidays

• Never! Thanksgiving is meant to be spent at home with family.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ministryofgiraffes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi all, quick question for our American cousins, What is the general thought ref doing an 11 day liveaboard ( Raja Ampat) during US Thanksgiving. I am planning a trip including US family and we are debating whether Americans generally fall into the 'absolutely!' or 'no way!' camp regarding being away over Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

I wouldn't mind and I think a lot of people would look at it the same way. The only way to be sure how your family feels about it is to ask them though.

For most Americans...Thanksgiving isn't a deeply spiritual day. Most people just view it as a paid holiday and an excuse to stuff your face and watch a parade on TV.

Hi all, quick question for our American cousins, What is the general thought ref doing an 11 day liveaboard ( Raja Ampat) during US Thanksgiving. I am planning a trip including US family and we are debating whether Americans generally fall into the 'absolutely!' or 'no way!' camp regarding being away over Thanksgiving.

Thanks!

Most dive shops with an active travel program will book a Thanksgiving trip and families often opt for an all inclusive vacation. It's a great way to escape the cold, go diving and leave the cooking up to the expert chefs. We are fully booked for Indonesia, but we still have some availability in the Bahamas & BVIs.

Last year was the first time I spent Thanksgiving away from home. I chose to snorkel with sperm whales in Dominica instead, and frankly I'd take that over a turkey dinner any day. I'm definitely planning to do more trips over Thanksgivings!

I think most Americans want to spend Thanksgiving with family, but might be happy to do it somewhere warm and beautiful!

It varies with the family and what they usually like to do on Thanksgiving, but it is one of the busiest travel weekends of the year across the US; so finding reasonable airfares and fighting airport crowds might be a deterrent. You should ask and see what they say.

My wife and I spent a Thanksgiving in England more than once. If I could get the time off work (I teach, so don't get more than the 4 day weekend), I'd have no qualms with missing it.

That said, it might depend on families. I have a colleague who is across the country from he and his wife's families. They really like to get together on holidays, so it would be tougher for him to miss a Thanksgiving. My wife and my families are either relatively local (so we see them all the time anyway) or else so far and spread out that we wait for them to come see us.

Christmas is probably the only holiday that gives me pause. I did it once (Christmas day I was in Spain), but didn't have kids of my own then.

Thanksgiving is not only built around family things, but it is a horrible time to try and travel.

Thanksgiving is not only built around family things, but it is a horrible time to try and travel.
Good point. My very limited experience suggests the international flight isn't too bad. The security lines are brutal, but you can plan around those. However, if there's a connecting city involved within the US, it could get ugly in a hurry. Planes run late, and you miss a once a day connection....

Yup. For a 11 day liveaboard over Thanksgiving...fly out of the U.S. a few days before the holiday and you'll be fine. Attempt to fly the day of the holiday or the day before and you'll regret it.

Back
Top Bottom