Wearing mask on the back of your head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I believe that is the reasoning behind my PADI training
I agree. The problem is that it seems that some people don't realize that while A (panic/distress) may cause B (rejection of gear), B doesn't mean that A necessarily has happened. Or IOW, while B may be one of many indications of A, B doesn't mean A.

Alternatively, they might be either bovine stupid or deliberately obtuse. Or both.

Uh... not in my opinion.

Why the heck do you ask that question? I'm smelling a slight whiff of gotcha.

Nah, I have been having so much fun in the shrinking lungs thread that I'm bringing that enthusiasm here! You know that I respect your insights...

I had said that we shouldn't teach new divers to take off their masks to signal distress. I read your post as saying that panicked divers WILL take off their masks. and I thought that you were referring to my post. So I was saying that we shouldn't teach them to do that, even if they might do it in a panic.

I read your post as saying that panicked divers WILL take off their masks.
Well, either I expressed myself clumsily, or you should work on your reading comprehension :) EDIT: or both :D

What I meant to say was that IMO gear rejection, including ripping off a mask, is one of many uncertain indicators of possible distress/panic.

I agree. The problem is that it seems that some people don't realize that while A (panic/distress) may cause B (rejection of gear), B doesn't mean that A necessarily has happened. Or IOW, while B may be one of many indications of A, B doesn't mean A.

Alternatively, they might be either bovine stupid or deliberately obtuse. Or both.

Exactly so now i go for comfort and positive mask retention.......on the back of the head is a little more comfortable than the forehead

Exactly so now i go for comfort and positive mask retention.......on the back of the head is a little more comfortable than the forehead
I've always felt weird wearing my mask on the back of my head. Pulling it down around my neck requires real estate that just isn't there, since I'm using a bungeed backup, a thick hood and an almost equally thick warmneck. Pulling it up on my forehead entails an unacceptable risk of losing it to the next wave. So I just keep it on my face until I'm on solid land or almost equally solid deck, when I just take it off and stuff it into a fin foot pocket. And as a bonus, if I mess up, keeping my mask on my face and my reg in my gob makes for a much less uncomfortable experience.

Does distress necessarily mean panicked though? I could be in distress but also not panicking and still wouldn't remove my mask. Having a mask rule for when panicking is illogical.

Does distress necessarily mean panicked though? I could be in distress but also not panicking and still wouldn't remove my mask. Having a mask rule for when panicking is illogical.

It isn't a rule. It is just one potential indicator of a problem on the surface in that so many panicked divers attempt to discard their gear (reg mask).

A diver that has surfaced, has their mask pushed up on forehead but is relaxed as they chat away with their buddy is not evidencing panic or problem. However, they may lose their mask in the event of a rogue wave or some such.

Hi doctormike,

I have read two really good posts from you today. This one and #580 from the "shrinking lung" fiasco. A+ and +1!

Thanks!

I wear it on my forehead pre-dive and while doffing gear. I then weave the strap through my regulator hoses and up over the tank valve. It has not fallen overboard yet.

Yup, that's exactly what I do on OC! With the rebreather, I use the controller wrist strap to clip it (and the controller) to a chest D-ring.

Nah, I have been having so much fun in the shrinking lungs thread that I'm bringing that enthusiasm here! You know that I respect your insights...

I had said that we shouldn't teach new divers to take off their masks to signal distress. I read your post as saying that panicked divers WILL take off their masks. and I thought that you were referring to my post. So I was saying that we shouldn't teach them to do that, even if they might do it in a panic.

No agency I know of teaches students to remove their mask to deliberately signal distress, but some do refer to this as a possible sign of a distressed / panicked diver. As Storker said, this sometimes manifests as general kit rejection, particularly reg or mask.

We do however try to encourage good surface habits including mask on face and either regulator or snorkel in mouth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom