Wearing mask on the back of your head

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I just have it around my neck with the strap at the back. I don’t like wearing the mask on my forehead backwards - I like to minimize me getting knocked over and dropping/breaking it accidentally. I feel it’s more secure on the neck.
Same here. To me, this just seems like the easiest place to keep my mask. I usually put it on my neck as soon as I get on a boat. That way I'll never find myself looking for my mask when it's time to gear up.

No, you just look like a wannabe and most of us think you are a wanker
Isn't pretty much everyone a wanker anyway? I thought it was one of those things where people do it or lie and say that they don't do it.

If you have a reg on a necklace it is even more unlikable to put a mask around your neck as well. On the boat gearing up I’ll put it on my forehead.

I used to use a bungee necklace for my secondary before I got an air2. The mask and bungee were never a problem together for me.

My mask is on my face just before I enter the water and just after I exit it. No MOF or mask on "backhead"

My mask is on my face just before I enter the water and just after I exit it. No MOF or mask on "backhead"
It might be good fun for bald guys. They could get someone to draw (or tattoo) eyeballs on the back of their heads and then put the mask there.

@caruso
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
40 years ? 1979 ? 1980 ?

I was certified in college in 1982 plus or minus 1 year, I took Scuba as an elective over the course of an entire semester. Still using manual inflate horsecollar BCDs back then. The course had to fill up a lot of time being several months in duration so we did all sorts of stuff like building underwater sculptures and using lift bags to hover objects in the pool. We entertained ourselves by clipping a lift bag to an unsuspecting divers heel strap and inflating it and laughing hysterically as they helplessly flipped upside down and floated to the surface of the pool.

I recall only one checkout dive, in a local lake. Me and about 5 other guys. Followed a rope out to about 30' in near zero visibility, did the usual skills for about 10 minutes. After the dive he said everyone passes except you, and points at me. I was like "WTF there were no issues, I was very relaxed in the water, did all the drills.." I suggested in the poor visibility he confused me with someone else but he was having none of it. A week or so later we repeated the dive, I recall leading the group along the rope until I got to his feet and to be a wise guy moved my hands from the rope to his feet and slowly up his legs.. I passed the course with no problems.

I used to use a bungee necklace for my secondary before I got an air2. The mask and bungee were never a problem together for me.
I find it creeping up around my chin/mouth when I do as I have my bungeed reg right below my chin. when I need to look down its in the way, then I am breathing moist air in it which even with a good fog routine can start it going. I just prefer to avoid all that.

I personally put it on my forehead, since that makes it quicker to pull down over my eyes when it's time to get in the water. The reason that I put it there is that I'm not superstitious about finding the one person who will actually interpret this as a sign of distress, since that's an urban legend. Also, we are talking about doing this on the boat while getting ready to dive, not while in the water.

Hi doctormike,

I have read two really good posts from you today. This one and #580 from the "shrinking lung" fiasco. A+ and +1!

I wear it on my forehead pre-dive and while doffing gear. I then weave the strap through my regulator hoses and up over the tank valve. It has not fallen overboard yet. I have received some stares from people who are thinking about screaming "distressed diver on deck!" But then they skip the screaming and tend to their own business.

I noticed a diver walking around on the boat with his mask on backwards, and the lightbulb came on.

Hey Caruso,

Wear the mask anyway you want...if it works for you I am happy! I use toxic defog and wash it off once in the water. I have had no fogging problems for over 5 decades.

I have never been kicked off a boat for wearing my mask on my forehead; however, it could happen.

Dive and Let Dive,
mm

Shore diver here, who does long surface swims on my back.

I don't like to wear it while swimming. I don't like to have it on my forehead or on back of forehead, or around my neck, as it is annoying in all three locations.

I used to take it off and put it on my arm, but two summers ago my mask swam away from me undetected and I lost it. Stupid mask.

So my solution is to have a suicide clip on my BC, and I put the mask there. (I adopted this after I saw a buddy doing this, and he also carried his fins there when not in use -- sometimes I do that too, but not generally).

Cue concerns about suicide clips, bc there can never be a perfect solution.

If it's your mask wear it where ever you like

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom